Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what makes a baritone guitar a baritone guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes a baritone guitar a baritone guitar?

I am not sure if this is the right place, but here goes...

I am wondering what makes a baritone guitar a baritone guitar? What specs does it have that make it different than a regular guitar? I know the scale is usually different, but what are some other factors that make it different?

Thanks,

GMS
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: what makes a baritone guitar a baritone guitar?

longer scale, thicker strings, lower tuning.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

maybe I should rephrase my question...

There is a topic about favorite strings in the general talk section. In said topic, some members are talking about how baritones sound much better for low tuned stuff than "regular" guitars do.

I guess I am wondering if scale length really makes that big of a difference in tone, or if there are not other factors that make a baritone sound more heavy than a regular guitar. As far as I know, scale mainly has to do with the length and not so much tone..

That leaves pickups, type of wood, and string gauge right?. Now I could buy a "regular" guitar with the exact same specs in the three categories, tune it down to B standard (everything down a 5th I think) with the same size strings as a baritone, and according to my personal experience and the testimonies of some members here the baritone would sound more heavy.. I guess I am wondering why that is?

Comment

The length doesn't effect the tone directly, no, but since the scale length is longer, the strings are longer, and longer strings means more string tension and more string tension means you can tune lower (like a or b)without having floppy strings.

Comment

really? so that extra 1-1.5 inches makes that big a difference eh?

I suppose that is why it would be difficult to tune a baritone guitar up much more past b (I have no idea why you would want to, I have just noticed that if I try to tune up past b a little, the tension is pretty high).

Comment

the extra 1.5 inches plus the thicker strings make all the difference in the world.

With thinner strings you could probably tune up as high as D standard safely

Comment

Usually the scale length is 26 1/8 or 26.5, sometimes 27".
              The scale length is for thicker strings which are usually used for a much heavier sound, creating a deeper, more resonating sound..they also have a greater amount of tension on the neck but being detuned as you know will create a pretty floppy sound on a std scale...so as mentioned... a heavier string along with the longer scale balances all this out.

Some guys tune to B, C, C#.
              You can use a std 25.5 scale guitar, EVH did to E flat and D but still used light strings.

Baritone electrics have been around for some time, Fender had a production model in the 60's I believe.

I use a Schecter EX..it plays ok in std tuning as well..just takes a little getting used to as the fret spacing is wider.

Comment

I may be joining a local band that tunes to b, and I have been playing my lynch baritone a lot anyways... I figured I would ask some questions about it. I would rather have a 7 string, but the baritone will have to do until june when I can either a) convince my fiance to buy me a new guitar for a wedding gift or b) buy myself one.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am thinking a schecter c-7 blackjack will do.. either that or any non floyd'd guitar with two hums. I would be all over the COW jackson dinky, but it only has one hum. Ideally, I would like another esp f-series 7 string with no floyd and two hums, however I am not sure if they make one...

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, are there any other 7 strings that come to mind when I mention those specs?

Comment

I'm sure ESP does make a 7 hardtail. Ibanez is another I would consider...altho..I do not know the models with a hardtail. Are you looking for a trapeze bridge w/a stop tailpiece or a Fender style hardtail?
                  Washburn has a 7 which is on sale at music123 that looks rather promising, much like a strat style BC Rich...I believe it was a hardtail and rather in a reasonable 200-250 range budget.

Otehrwise, Schecter has a good amount of 7's to choose from and many styles came non-floyded.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The length doesn't effect the tone directly

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong but iirc from testing guitars of my friends longer scale tends to sound brighter (checked on i.e. a 25.5" scale les paul [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Comment

I didn't know that, I would think the brightness would come more from the cut of wood than the scale, but it could definately be true though.

Comment

ESP makes 3 Seven stringed guitars right now
                        the viper 407: mahogany body, set maple neck(25.5), TOM Bridge, EMG 81-7 & 707
                        And 2 Stephen Carpenter signature models
                        one is a baritone model and one is a standard scale model
                        they both feature: 81-7 pickups, maple neck thru, TOM w/ string thru body, and maple body
                        the baritone version is available with a mahogany body if you choose to go with the Natural Gloss version

I've heard soundsamples on Jemsite of one dude comparing an Ibanez RG7620 w/ EMG 707 with a SC607B NG (natural gloss version)The ESP eats the Ibanez alive
                        much more clear & articulate tone
                        The Ibanez sounded very muddy compared to the baritone

Comment

Re: what makes a baritone guitar a baritone guitar

Baritone guitars also tend to intonate better when tuning down low, though it is not always the case. And, due to obvious reasons, the fret spacing is different, which may or may not be a problem for you, especially if you are looking to snag a 7 string.

Comment

Baritone guitars are MUCH cooler than 7 string guitars...

Comment

I don't care for 7 strings anyway. They feel awkward to me. And I'm used to play 25,5" guitars in B since I started so I'm comfortable with all the cons.

Comment

Working...
                              X