Tuning idea...tell me what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning idea...tell me what you think

OK...I've been playing bass in a church band for 6 months or so now. We do everything from "old school" traditional hymns, to modern contemporary stuff w/distortion. It is the first band I've ever been in where we use actual sheet music. There are times when last minute changes in the set list require me to sight read on the fly [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] ...which can be a nightmare if you learned primarily on TAB like I did.

I play a standard tuned 5 string: B-E-A-D-G. But, I prefer the feel of a 4 string. I find a rarely ever go below the 3rd fret B string low D when I play. I just don’t like the sound of an open B. I've also noticed that a lot of the music we are doing is keyed in D, G, C or F.

So, I'm thinking of picking up a cheap 4 string bass, slapping a new nut on it, stringing it with: 125, 95, 80 ,60, and tuning it D-G-C-F. This way it will still be strung in “5th’s”. Anybody ever tried anything like this? If so, how did it work out?
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Re: Tuning idea...tell me what you think

i use a 4 strimg tuned down a whole step, which if i'm not mistaken is what you're thinking of trying. didn't use a heavy set of strings though just mediums and i like it. . i also have a 4 set up with the lower 4 of a set of light gauge 5 string set B-E-A-D but dont use it much. i dont like the open B either. most of the time i use drop D though. BTW the 3b with the low B set up didn't take but a little truss rod adjustment and stays in tune. also the bass i use for droped d has a hipshot so i can play covers in standard. and the hipshot works killer! i have 2 basses on stage and use a cord i got off ebay that has a little switch in the guitar end so i can switch guitars without turning the amp off and no dreaded pop when the cord is plugged in. think i paid about 25 bucks for the cord hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

For D-G-C-F, I'd use something like a .050 - .110 set. It's a notch heavier than .045 - .105 I've come to think as a "standard" set. A .125 low D sounds pretty unmovable to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The last band I was in played in drop-D and drop-B. Our first bassist maintained two basses tuned appropriately, and it worked perfectly for him.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          ...and tuning it D-G-C-F. This way it will still be strung in “5th’s”.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's considered to be "tuned in 4ths".

Mandolins are tuned in 5ths, G-D-A-E.

Anyway, sounds like a decent experiment, although it would probably confuse me for a little while until I got the hang of it. Since it is tuned in 4ths like a regular bass, the scale fingerings will all be the same, only their location on the neck will change. So it shouldn't be too radical of a learning curve.

I have a few theories on getting the B string to sound decent, which really boil down to getting the right bass, the right amp, and the right cabinet. Achieving a good, pure, low B is not hard; it's just expensive.

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I tune a backup bass that way for a handful of songs and it works fine. I use my standard 45 - 100 gauge strings and lighten my attack to minimize the slop. I bought it from here: Rondo Music. Nice instrument for cheap.
            "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Working...
            X