PDA

View Full Version : What material is best for filling up holes

GodWentPUNK
12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
What is the best material to use if I decide to fill in the two single slots of my H/S/S. I was thinking of routing some solid piece of wood to fill most of the hold and then wood filler to finish it off. I've seen some hack jobs before and I don't want that of mine. Any suggestions? Ideas? Comments.

thanks,

joe...

dg
12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Bondo auto body filler works well & doesn't shrink or change shape once it cures. Here's one of the Bondo threads:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=415707&an=0&page=32#415707

jgcable
12-22-2005, 07:13 AM
I have had the best results with bondo too.

Zerberus
12-22-2005, 08:47 AM
BOndo is also the worst thing in the whole fucking world to have to remove at a later date..... Ever had to chisel bondo out of a trem route? 4 brand new chisels, SCRAPPED.. forget even trying it with a router, even more expensive....

Have wood cut to fit the routs... IMO Bondo IS the Hack route.. do it right /professionally or donīt do it at all /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But itīs your axe, your decision /images/graemlins/toast.gif

dg
12-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Not to argue, just a differing opinion, but if you're planning on undoing the fill down the road, why do it in the first place? Personally, I'd only do cavity fills or other major changes on a project guitar anyway, & a Bondo fill (or any major change) should definitely be disclosed to a buyer if if you ever sell the guitar. The "professional" method would be to painstakingly fill with wood blocks, then veneer the top so nothing shows through later, because it damn sure will if you don't veneer. The way I see it, you'd be kicking yourself about wasted time, effort, & money if you undid that later as well. You can also do a compromise technique by filling most of the way with wood, then top it off with Bondo then Evercoat before priming. On the last one I did, I used a maple block to about 1/4" shy of the surface before the Bondo. That would be easier to undo or re-rout if you ever need to. Again, not arguing & I agree 100% with your point about Bondo being a bitch to undo. /images/graemlins/toast.gif

RobRR
12-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Well if your filling any holes with wood, youll want to use the same wood as the body... different woods react differently to environments and expand/contract differently.

Budman68
12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if your filling any holes with wood, youll want to use the same wood as the body... different woods react differently to environments and expand/contract differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">good point.......and you also want to make sure it has a similar grain thickness and that the grain is going the same way as the surrounding body wood.........heh heh...I said "body wood" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font>

GodWentPUNK
12-22-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't think would want to veneer the top. I understand why that would be the best option (imo). I really cant offord to pay a professional (ok, dont want) to have this done. Maybe my best option is to leave it alone. It's just with the graphic I want, having the H/s/s might take away some of the graphic effect.

joe...

Ace
12-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Put a sticker over the holes.

Zerberus
12-24-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to argue, just a differing opinion, but if you're planning on undoing the fill down the road, why do it in the first place? ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnīt fill her, just had the "honor" of restoring her /images/graemlins/wink.gif

turned J4337 from this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/The_Zerb/90_31.jpg

into this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/The_Zerb/Guitars/Phoenix.jpg
/images/graemlins/toast.gif

ABSOLUT CHARVEL
12-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Talk about an Extreme Makeover! great job /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

jeff300
12-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Wow! The person that originally messed up that guitar should never be allowed near a guitar again, and you should be awarded a medal for saving it. NICE!

GodWentPUNK
12-27-2005, 10:16 AM
/images/graemlins/eek.gif WOW! Great job...

joe...

fett
12-27-2005, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't fill the hole either. Just but a solid pickup to cover it.

Razor
12-28-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1!!!

Zerberus, did you repair that one yourself, or have it professionally done?

Jackson-Charvel
12-29-2005, 01:08 AM
Wow this guitar is very drool-worthy. So basically you plugged those holes with similar wood to match the guitar? The round plugs don't distract from the rest of the guitar.

StukaJU87
12-29-2005, 08:39 AM
That came out great. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

GodWentPUNK
12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
When I have my guitar repainted, show I be removing the inserts for the trem posts? If so, how does these get removed. My guitar will be getting a new paint job w/graphic.

joe...

Zerberus
12-30-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1!!!

Zerberus, did you repair that one yourself, or have it professionally done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, I AM the professional.... just intentionally skimped on 2 or 3 spots to keep the character / remind of the past (most notably the holes for the stoptail and the thin red strip between neck PU and Neck) ... Had I gone all out youīd see nothing /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When I have my guitar repainted, show I be removing the inserts for the trem posts? If so, how does these get removed. My guitar will be getting a new paint job w/graphic.

joe...

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah.. youīll run a greater risk of damaging teh finish if yyopu press them in afterwards IMO... I always put the inserts in then paint, because the paint chips off the threads quite easily anyway /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GodWentPUNK
12-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Z: thanks for the advise. Sounds like that would work.

joe...