Pup selection for 3 TITE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pup selection for 3 TITE?

Looking for suggestions for 3 single coils for a new Jackson I have coming.

I'm not partial to ducans or dimarzio. Only thing is they can't have those little tabs that stick out, as I'm pretty sure the guitar isn't routed for them.

I'd ideally like something that was ballsy enough to do some metal in the bridge, and bluesy enough in the neck.

Right now I'm thinking JB Jr in the bridge and 59 Jr in the neck.

Only problem is, I really don't like JB's at all. anybody have any tips?

Re: Pup selection for 3 TITE?

You might think about an EMG SA or SAV for the bridge spot and S or SA for the other two. Those combined with some of EMGs active circuits can produce a very wide tonal range.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I did think about that, but my experience has shown me that the EMG S is SO BASS heavy that it would be a bad match for the bridge and would just sound mushy.

Am I wrong about this?

Comment

the jb jr. has plenty balls for metal. its got more low end than the standard jb humbucker. it has a ceramic magnet instead of the alnico 5 of the real jb. the jb jr is killer! i think you'll dig that combo and they actually have a set you can get with those 2 and a duckbucker for the middle.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Interesting. I'll have to check into that.

Comment

Any idea where I can find that set?

Comment

try the board sponsers like matts music and easton guitars.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I had a JBJr and liked it a whole lot better than the humbucker (although I do like the JB 'bucker in the neck).

If you can find an older Duncan Classic Stack (older ones didn't have the center tab, and are usually identified by their sticker saying "1BX" - some EBay sellers may list it as "IBX") or get with Sully on how to neuter tabbed singles, that's a great-sounding pickup for the bridge. Very humbuckerish, which shocked the shinola outta me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Paddok, that guitar WILL accept the single coil pickups that are flanged! Should be there soon!

Comment

Dimarzio FastTrack2 in the bridge. (VERY hot for a SC-sized PU!) Virtual Vintages in the neck & middle, 2.2s if you want good cleans or Blues if you'd like something with a bit more punch.

Comment

The JB Jr. found it's way into the Fender Iron Maiden strat. That's a good recommendation to me, but I have yet to here one.

I have an EMG-S in my Fusion Deluxe (with an 81 in the bridge - it's an H-S setup) and the EMG-S is bright and sparkly in the neck. Think of the parts in Great White's "Rock Me".

I don't find it bassy at all, and if you've seen a Charvel Fusion Deluxe, the neck pickup is slanted closer to the neck on the bass side. That would make for an even bassier response. Maybe the EMG-SA's are bassy?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Paddok, that guitar WILL accept the single coil pickups that are flanged! Should be there soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool to hear [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I looked for the photos but couldn't find them.

I guess the duncans are winning, but I'll certainly look into the dimarzios.

What is the deal with the Ducan Hot rails? I never hear anybody using them, and you can't ever seem to get the duncan pickup recommender to recommend them to you.

Comment

So another question: will it be the case that single coil sized humbuckers actually sound like humbuckers?

Comment

<font color="red">Nope,it will sound like a single-coil sized humbucker....humbuckerish!!You can make up for it a bit with eq but nothing sounds like the real thing except a real hum imo!! </font>

Comment

I had a hot rails in the bridge position of a strat and loved it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X