Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shielded wiring for pickups, gotta have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielded wiring for pickups, gotta have?

Well, I have an original pickup going back into a guitar,
    Reflex active hum.
    Original owner swapped em out, but I got the with the guitar. So happens there's like 1/2" of lead on the bridge, geez. 2 leads with a braid. So I cheapass extended them with 3 separate wires, and decided I'd find an equivalent true shielded wire instead for sake of consistency. Can't find shite, at least not less than 50ft or so for $9 at radio shack. Only need like 8" for good measure.
    So, all the local guitar shops don't have any, in bulk or pieces. Tech said don't worry about it.

Think it will make a difference, other than ghetto looking?

Re: Shielded wiring for pickups, gotta have?

Eh it should be ok. Couldnt hurt to add some shielding inside the cavity itself though like so:

You can find aluminum tape in the heating section of Home Depot or just about any other hardware store.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

No difference between copper and aluminum?

Comment

I just ended up buying some wire from stew mac with some other stuff i needed. They also have the sheilding conductive paint or whatever it is.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          No difference between copper and aluminum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well copper is a better conductor, but aluminum is easier to find locally and will the the job.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
          X