smelly case problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smelly case problem

I just got a freedom case by skb as a gift.

I spent all night/morning/afternoon puking my brains out (so you can imagine I've lost all taste for vomit for at least a couple days) and I open this case and there was the most puke-like odor inside and it quickly filled the room. It's the most pungent throw up smell ever... it would be like if you puked into a frying pan and fried it for 7 years, than snorted the the black coal-like purge juice.

I guess the stench is caused by the glue they use, but anywho, does anyone have a method for getting rid of new case odor? I don't want to just mask the odor, I want it friggin gone. I have the case open in my hall way right now and it's airing out but I've been told letting it air out doesn't really help to much unless you leave it sitting for like 2 months. The ones at guitar centers don't smell, but they've been airing out for probably months/years.

someone please make a suggestion, I have another of the same case on it's was as well as a bass version. Three of these things in one house will cause insanity.

Re: smelly case problem

Arm&Hammer baking soda is a great odor eater.
    So is charcoal, which is what's used in Dr. Scholl's shoe inserts.

Check the local grocery store for more odor eater stuff.

Comment

Thanks.

I've also been told many fruits/veggies can absoarb odor if I cut them in half and put them in the case (lemons, mangos, apples, onions, ect)any word on that?

Comment

I had one like that also. I kept it open for about a week and it finally got to a bearable level. You could always try a car air freshener also.
        Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Vacuum it well, use Febreeze. After it is dry, give it the sniff test. If still smelly, another dose.

Comment

Pluck a good amount of pubic hair and place it in a pile in the middle of the case. Set it on fire and when it starts to smolder slam the case shut. If that doesn't work try a sock filled with baking soda.

Comment

Is this a new case? The maufacturers use an expanded foam and it can have a nasty odor. In many instances you may not be able to get rid of the smell. It should smell "plasticy", derivitive of petrochemically manufactured plastic foam.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I know Jackson hardshell cases smell like ass, but I kinda like the smell since its usually associated with a new guitar haha.

Comment

Hahaha..

Did you happen to puke in the case? that might cause the problem.. I dunno what else you can do, my case smells like carpet lol.. dont ask

Comment

skb doesn't put silicone packets or anything in their cases. I think this is why other manufacturer's cases are tolerable.

I wish there was a type of smell multimedia I could post... like a smell clip so you could see how truely awful it smells. Other than that, it's such a nice case.

Comment

I had a thread about this a while back when I got my Heritage...lots of good advice in there.

Comment

Arm and Hammer dryer sheets....place them all inside the case and change em out every couple of days....itll take the smell out,you cant spill it like baking soda, and your case will smell like clean underwear! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It works!

Comment

I don't know about the "glue" making it smell badly...I have had new cases before and they all smell fine...but the used cases....I think it has to do with "dampness" and "milldew"....but the old ones seem to really smell foul!

I agree, 1st use the arm&hammer baking soda for it's "absorbing" ability....I sprinkle it all over the inside and lay it out in the sun for about two days (ya gotta have "sun")...Then I vacume it out and spray fabreeze all over it and let it "dry"...again in the sun....then I spray it again (fabreeze) and lock it up.....But I will try tthe dryer sheets !

Comment

It's not a used case. and the company sais it smells this way because of the glue that they use. other companies either don't use the same glue or have another method of de-scenting it.

I have dryer sheets in there now and they don't really work. once I take them out and the scent of the dryer sheet goes away, the vomit smell comes back.
                            I've also tried coffee and it hasn't done anything.

Comment

Use charcoal filters from a pet store for either fish tanks or cat litter boxes.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X