Pickups for a Mahogany body guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for a Mahogany body guitar

I have a Michael Kelly Patriot Q that is basically a single cut LP type that weighs in around 10 lbs. According to the specs it also has a 1/4 maple cap on it. It currently has stock PAF type pickups and I am looking to replace them. I have a Fender Esquire Custom that is also mahogany and has the stock Invader in it. I really like the harmonics the invader gives, but the bottom end sounds kinda mushy to me. For a hot humbucker set what would you recommend in this guitar? I am not really looking for active pups. I play mostly 80's type Metal. A really decent clean isnt a must. Any suggestions? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Re: Pickups for a Mahogany body guitar

I also have a mahogany guitar on the way and am trying to find the right pup. I think I narrowed it down to the Duncan custom. I have a custom in my alder gmw and it sounds killer. great bottom end and also great on the trebel side.

Comment

Ebony or Rosewood fingerboard?
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

EMG 85 or Dimarzio Distortion... both sound dark and tight... very awesome...
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Yes, The EMG 81 I have in my 72 Gibson Sg sounds great in it. Best "sounding" guitar I have really.

Comment

EMG......
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I put a Duncan Custom and '59 in my GMP Pawnshop, and they sound KILLER.

Comment

it depends on your tastes in tone really what amps you use. I'm not a fan of superduper high output pickups (invader) but a few that I think are killer are Duncan Custom-Custom, JB, Duncan Distortion. For DiMarzio's its Super Distortion, Tone Zone and EVO all for bridge postions. The necks are a different thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Duncan Jazz, 59 or Dimarzio PAF
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

EMG 81 is currently my favorite for all-Mahogany guitars. Maple top or maple neck definitely asks for 85 though.

Comment

I've got a Mahogany guitar with a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and '59 in the neck and it sounds great.

Comment

JB or Distortion are my choices at the moment.

Comment

for mahagony in bridge some trebly pickup: dimarzio x2n or sd jb. maybe sd custom also. that are passive choices. for active i would say emg 81 for bridge. 85 would be muddy in mahagony [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I was wondering, how would a set of DiMarzio Evolutions sound in a mahogany body?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            85 would be muddy in mahagony [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            No, it wouldn't. I've got a Les Paul that's all mahogany, including the carved top, and the 85 rules in the bridge with an 81 in the neck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a Custom 5 , Custom , Distortion and JB in the bridge(s) of my Mahogany bodied guitars.I would say out the four pickups the Custom is my favortie.Just the right amount of bite without being over the top.My second would be the distortion which to me sounds like a hot rodded Custom.You just have back the gain down a bit.

For the neck my pick is the 59.I have used a Jazz and a distortion and the neck but they do not sound as sweet as the 59 YMMV.
                              Mike
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Working...
                              X