Give me your opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me your opinion.

I have a mahogony body/maple top gmw on the way. It has a Duncan 59 in it. I have no experience with this pickup, so if I dont dig it im thinking about a Duncan custom or a Duncan distortion. Which one do you think will sound better with that wood combo. I know its all a matter of taste, but i just want to see what you all have to say.

Re: Give me your opinion.

The '59 is like an old PAF pup, dramatically different with far less output than the others you mentioned. Personally of the two you listed I'd prefer the Distortion but if you want something a bit different try a Screamin' Demon. I've always thought that Demon's clarity was a nice match for the warmer tone of a mahogany body. I've used those in the bridge position in my mahogany body / maple neck nightswans for years and really like the combination.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

If you have afew pups in other guitars, switch em all around and see what you like best.. Thats my advice

Comment

I too think that the Screamin' Demon would be a good match, although the Custom or even a JB would also work. The Duncan Distortion would be OK, but I don't think it's nearly as transparent, and mahogany is a wood that has a good natural tone you'll want to hear.

If you're open to other brands, a DiMarzio PAF Pro might be worth considering. Sounds great in mahogany.
        sigpic

Comment

I really dont need a high output pickup. Im playing through all Cameron modded Marshalls that have a ton of gain. My other 2 guitars are alder and 1 has a custom and the other a emg 81. I might likw the 59 im not sure untill I try it. I was trying to figyre out what else would go good in this guitar incase I am not into the 59. I really dont want to go out and keep buying different pups do to the money and installation cost. Im looking for somthing warm that will also have great clarity and just beable to rip when I need it to.

Comment

I've never tried the '59 in the bridge, but I like the neck version in just about any guitar. I dig the Custom in the bridge, don't care for the JB all that much.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Custom, Custom Custom, or Custom 5
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Im not into the jb either. I really love the custom but am thinking of trying a distortion.

Comment

Try the '59 first, you'd probably have to tweak a little.
                  I would think a Custom or the Saraceno Trembucker would be a good choice.

Comment

i'm with parntz on the camerons. nothing is needed but a wah wah pedal and you're set.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I really dont need a high output pickup. Im playing through all Cameron modded Marshalls that have a ton of gain. My other 2 guitars are alder and 1 has a custom and the other a emg 81. I might likw the 59 im not sure untill I try it. I was trying to figyre out what else would go good in this guitar incase I am not into the 59. I really dont want to go out and keep buying different pups do to the money and installation cost. Im looking for somthing warm that will also have great clarity and just beable to rip when I need it to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a custom pickup that may be what you are looking for. It has one coil from a '59, one from a Custom and the custom's magnet. It was made to give a Fair Warning EVH tone and it hits the ohm meter at about 10.6. Hotter than a '59, more mellow than a Custom or a "hot" pickup. Lots of clarity and articulation and it cleans up.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        screamin demon

Comment

i think you might just dig the 59.

i have never used it myself but i would give it a shot first. it might just be the right pup for that wood and config.

if you don't dig it try the custom. i've go one in my mohagany star with maple neck and love it. but i'm thinking the 59 will sound really good in that guitar. but so would a jb or a custom.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i find the distortion to be way too agressive and i play metal and punk, it just has this bite/edge to it i don't get along with. however each of the customs are great so i would step up to that if you don't like the 59.

-Mike
                            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                            X