Difference between Dinky and Soloist body shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Dinky and Soloist body shapes

What's the difference between a Dinly body shape and a Soloist body shape? Does anyone know where can I purchase dinky shaped replacement bodies?

Re: Difference between Dinky and Soloist body shapes

I gonna take a guess on this one since I don't own a Dinky. My understanding is that a Dinky is a "bolt on" neck and a Soloist is a "neck thru". I just got today a Soloist (bolt on) from Warmoth. It is perfect. Those guy's repeatably do great work. Same body size? Someone else will chime in here.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The horns on a soloist are a little longer, and cut slightly different around the neck pocket. Other than than very similar.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Cool, I didn't know for sure. I knew someone would chime in! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

> I've also had questions about this. I've always thought of the Dinky style as the short-horn,squared edge style,like the 3DR or late 90's DK1,and the longer horned,occasionally scalloped version as the Soloist,whether it was a bolt-on or not. Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Re: Difference between Dinky and Soloist body shap

[ QUOTE ]
            The horns on a soloist are a little longer, and cut slightly different around the neck pocket. Other than than very similar.

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1

The body itself is also minimally larger...

For comparison: Model 6 /Dinky /Fusion / Soloist

Comment

The only substantive difference is if there are a different number of frets. So 24 fret Dinky bodies are nearly identical to 24 fret Soloists. And 22 fret Dinkies are like (rare) 22 fret Soloists.

The shorter horns shown on the Dinky above are ONLY becuase you're comparing a 22 fret Dinky to a 24 fret Soloist. The current DK1 model - which has 24 frets - is nearly identical to a Soloist.

Comment

That black quilt top Dinky is sick!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The only substantive difference is if there are a different number of frets. So 24 fret Dinky bodies are nearly identical to 24 fret Soloists. And 22 fret Dinkies are like (rare) 22 fret Soloists.

The shorter horns shown on the Dinky above are ONLY becuase you're comparing a 22 fret Dinky to a 24 fret Soloist. The current DK1 model - which has 24 frets - is nearly identical to a Soloist.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought when comparing the newer Dinky to the same year Soloist.

Yea, The Trans black is awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

They're all beautiful - but I like the natural Soloist best. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      They're all beautiful - but I like the natural Soloist best. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like he got lucky sanding it down. Usually when you see this done, the body wings don't even come close to matching up.

Comment

Natural soloists look AWESOME! There was a Natural flametop on the bay a while back that had me Gas'ing like a mofo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          +1
                          The body itself is also minimally larger...

For comparison: Model 6 /Dinky /Fusion / Soloist

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is a perfect "players" collection. Everything anyone could ever want in an axe is right there in those 4! (V's and other shapes aside) [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Everything except a fixed bridge, 2 hums, EMGs, etc... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

There's also no 1 H, no H/S/H, no S/S/S and no H/H/H. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X