PDA

View Full Version : ?s for J.R.'s FIRST project...........

JRE
12-14-2005, 04:11 PM
I am putting together my FIRST project guitar.....

I have obtained a body, that is routed for a FLOYD (non-recessed) and will be reciving a "Mighty-Mite" reverse strat head maple neck (thx Pebber!).

My 1st question (of a few to follow) is:

The neck comes with a regular nut, sent as set up for use as a reverse neck (as opposed to LH).

For use with a Floyd, can I use "Locking Tuners" or do I need a Floyd Locking Nut???

I think I know the answer, but will take all opinions please!

/images/graemlins/toast.gif /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif /images/graemlins/toast.gif /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

StukaJU87
12-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Me personally? I would use a locking nut. Under heavy divebomb, I think the strings will slip too much even with the locking tuners. That's just my opinion.

rjohnstone
12-14-2005, 04:27 PM
You can use locking tuners (Sperzels), just use a roller nut. A regular nut tends to stick... even the graphite ones.
That's basicaly what I did on mine.
Stays in tune just fine.
If you do use a roller nut, get the LSR one and toss the adapter plate. Little or no routing required.
If you use a Wilkinson style roller nut, you will have to route out almost as much material as a Floyd nut... so that should make that call pretty easy.

pebber
12-14-2005, 04:52 PM
J, I'm excited to see your project is in the starting stage !

Btw, both options will work.. I have guitars equipped with lock nut as well as guitars with lock tuners.
If you decide to go for the lock tuners, I would leave the nut for now, as it's always possible to replace it later with a LSR or a Wilkinson.

JRE
12-14-2005, 05:02 PM
OK

I think I am gonna go the Locking nut route, and have my awesome shop tech route the neck for me.

I fouond some black reverse Carvin tuners on the classifieds today, so now "all" I need is a Floyd!!

Pebber....the neck arrived today! Looks NICE!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebber
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pebber....the neck arrived today! Looks NICE!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so.. you don't gonna offer it to me then /images/graemlins/laugh.gif?

JRE
12-14-2005, 05:32 PM
It's nice!
I'll need to get it routed by Eric...so I think i'll keep this one!

He HAS more!! ;-)
Want i should buy a few for you?

Newc
12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
For the longest time I couldn't figure out why anyone would want locking tuners AND a locking nut, till someone mentioned that with locking tuners it's easier/faster to change strings, thus a lower changeover time.
Made sense to me /images/graemlins/grin.gif