No announcement yet.

?s for J.R.'s FIRST project...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?s for J.R.'s FIRST project...........

I am putting together my FIRST project guitar.....

I have obtained a body, that is routed for a FLOYD (non-recessed) and will be reciving a "Mighty-Mite" reverse strat head maple neck (thx Pebber!).

My 1st question (of a few to follow) is:

The neck comes with a regular nut, sent as set up for use as a reverse neck (as opposed to LH).

For use with a Floyd, can I use "Locking Tuners" or do I need a Floyd Locking Nut???

I think I know the answer, but will take all opinions please!

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
    Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Re: ?s for J.R.\'s FIRST project...........

Me personally? I would use a locking nut. Under heavy divebomb, I think the strings will slip too much even with the locking tuners. That's just my opinion.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

You can use locking tuners (Sperzels), just use a roller nut. A regular nut tends to stick... even the graphite ones.
      That's basicaly what I did on mine.
      Stays in tune just fine.
      If you do use a roller nut, get the LSR one and toss the adapter plate. Little or no routing required.
      If you use a Wilkinson style roller nut, you will have to route out almost as much material as a Floyd nut... so that should make that call pretty easy.
      -Rick

Comment

J, I'm excited to see your project is in the starting stage !

Btw, both options will work.. I have guitars equipped with lock nut as well as guitars with lock tuners.
        If you decide to go for the lock tuners, I would leave the nut for now, as it's always possible to replace it later with a LSR or a Wilkinson.

Comment

OK

I think I am gonna go the Locking nut route, and have my awesome shop tech route the neck for me.

I fouond some black reverse Carvin tuners on the classifieds today, so now "all" I need is a Floyd!!

Pebber....the neck arrived today! Looks NICE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Pebber....the neck arrived today! Looks NICE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

so.. you don't gonna offer it to me then [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]?

Comment

It's nice!
              I'll need to get it routed by Eric...so I think i'll keep this one!

He HAS more!! ;-)
              Want i should buy a few for you?

Comment

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why anyone would want locking tuners AND a locking nut, till someone mentioned that with locking tuners it's easier/faster to change strings, thus a lower changeover time.
                Made sense to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X