X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another ID

Hello everyone,

Greetings from Finland!

Bought a Charvel bass about an hour ago - I just really couldn't resist the damn thing... I'll spare you the new instrument hype, but I was wondering if you could help me put an exact model on it. Basic specs: serial number 314485, bolt-on neck, P/J pickup configuration.

Here's a pic, sorry about the quality. Them cell phone VGA cameras are pretty useless. My Charvel bass

I take it the finish is called "firecrackle"?

Re: Yet another ID

rainbow crackle 2b
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      rainbow crackle 2b

[/ QUOTE ]

Rainbow crackle huh? Sounds even better! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for your reply.

Comment

In case anyone's interested, here are some better pictures of the 2B.

I got it real cheap, and the reason is evident in some of the pictures. The previous owner, in a blitz of alcohol induced inspiration, decided he absolutely NEEDS to have scalloped upper frets on the G string. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] Luckily, he passed out before he could do more damage...

I'm currently looking into having the fretboard fixed, any idea if you can just sort of "fill out" the missing wood? The dents aren't that deep.

Rainbow Crackle 2B

Comment

Congrats, cool bass. I like that finish. Glad you rescued her from doom! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] How does the bass play?
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Congrats, cool bass. I like that finish. Glad you rescued her from doom! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] How does the bass play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! She has a good home now, did some basic setup yesterday. Changed the strings, cleaned what needed to be cleaned (quite a bit of gunk on the fretboard), tightened what needed to be tightened (pretty much every nut and bolt was loose) and so forth.

I was actually surprised at how good the bass feels. I didn't really know what to expect, but the overall feel has the kind of sturdiness to it that usually means the instrument has potential. I'm into wide and thick necks, so I was also surprised to find that the sleek neck feels great. Having said that, ask me again in a few months: new acquisitions always seem great. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But it's safe to say the bang for the buck (or Euro rather) value on this one is absolutely great.

Anyone's who's seen the bass has said it's "awful" or "so 80's". I love it! I've been browsing the forum and the beautiful Charvies you guys have... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky no workie [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Howzat? Both links work fine for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Howzat? Both links work fine for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much better.

Comment

Thats, super nice man, good score. Too bad about the fretboard though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, the dents can be pretty easily filled out with a rosewood/glue goo. It won't look pretty, I'm told, so I'm thinking maybe I should just let it be. The mutilated fretboard seems playable.

Paid 180 Euro for it by the way, that's about 216 USD. Dunno if that's a good price or not. I thought it was pretty cheap.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, the dents can be pretty easily filled out with a rosewood/glue goo. It won't look pretty, I'm told, so I'm thinking maybe I should just let it be. The mutilated fretboard seems playable.

Paid 180 Euro for it by the way, that's about 216 USD. Dunno if that's a good price or not. I thought it was pretty cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the dents dont affect playabilty, I'd just leave it. I wonder what the previous owner was thinking.

Comment

That he could shred like Sheehan if he had scalloped frets? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

There's something weird about this bass. The output signal is very weak. I'm not expecting to push out as much signal as my G&L Tribute for example, but the Charvel is REAL quiet. Replaced the battery to no avail. Maybe I should get an electronics doctor to look at the poor thing.

Going into my soundcard input through a DI/preamp box, the recorded signal on the Charvel, compared to my other basses, is like a flat line on the multitrack recorder...

On another note, I'm trying to date the bass. Found a thread on the Import Charvel Guitars section that has some info on dating guitars by the logos. Do you think this applies to Model basses as well? My bass has the circled R symbol on both the neckplate and the headstock logos, so that would make it a 1988, right? Feel free to whack me on the head with an URL...

Comment

Could very well be a dying board in it. I had a guitar with the original board in it and the wires were brittle like they'd been in the sun for a year [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              They just broke off one day.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X