will a original floyd rose tremolo and locking nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a original floyd rose tremolo and locking nut

i plan onchanging my schaller tremolo on my left handed charvel 475 and want to put in a original floyd ros tremolo and floyd rose locking nut as well.will i need to rout out some.plus what is the nut size will i need is it 11/16th wide or narrow. or something else. thanks.send info to [email protected]

Re: will a original floyd rose tremolo and locking nut

The longer locking screws of the OFR will overhang the rear of the rout. I prefer an OFR to the Schaller, but not by enough to go through the headache. Is there something wrong with the nut? Why change it? 1 11/16, R-3 nut, btw. I think there is a slight height difference between Schaller & Floyd nuts, so there is either going to be some shimming or woodwork involved if you switch.

& welcome to the JCF! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: will a original floyd rose tremolo and locking nut

Actually some older models will take an OFR's rear screws just fine. Unfortunately, there's no list of which ones will and won't.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: will a original floyd rose tremolo and locking

Wow... I love the Schaller more than I like the OFRs. Shorter locking screws, slightly more fine tuner adjustment, and a more meaty palm mute rest. To each, their own... I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The Schaller's not a bad trem. But if you need that last ounce of mojo...get the OFR and see if it fits.

Both nuts are made in the Schaller factory in Germany. I don't know why you'd want to change that, but you can remove your nut and look at the underside to see what number it is.

More information on this subject is in the sticky's in the Tech Forum. Read up on those - they will help you out.

Comment

Hi All, newbie here and a South paw too!! I never had a Problem swapimg my Schaller For a OFR ,and you should not have to change the nut. More than likley its an L-4 ,1 11/16 wide spacing. Those are more common than the L-3 narrow spacing. When you do swap I'll take that Schaller off your hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

why im wanting to change the nut its got deep grooves.i dont feel comfortable to sand them down.i got little space more for the longer string screws thats in the ofr but dont know for sure.plus is the nut for the ofr bigger,taller.i dont want to have to do any rerouting or woodworking or shimming.if i have to get a schaller to replace the one i want to take out. i dont know where or what spacing the left handed 475 had.its metallic black but i dont know if its 475 special or not.i replace the jackson pickups with 2 fast track 2s and super distortion 3.ill probably sell the one i take off for 30 bucks when i do.

Comment

hey ilovethe80s.i looking to take with other lefties who play guitar.about their guitars and gear they use.what helps them to get a great sound.my ideal guitar collection would be around 5,000 or more guitars,basses,other instruments.plus a big collection of effects and amps.did you replace any schaller off of an charvel model 475.thats the one i was going to replace with an ofr till someone says ill have to reroute and then shim the nut.why im replacing the nut.its got deep string grooves.im to cautios to even try to sand them down.i rather replace it.i would sell the tremolo if i get one to replace it. for 30 bucks. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X