[Repairing a case, handles?]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Repairing a case, handles?]

My original case for my red charvel is still in decent condition....BUT, the handles have come off. Is it difficult to repair or re-rivet these back on? The case that I am using for it is a bit sketchy...those side pieces don't lock very well and the last thing I need is for the guitar to go for a ride it doesn't need to go on.

Thanks!

Jay

Re: [Repairing a case, handles?]

Take some flexable scraps of aluminum and cut out a plate around an inch or two bigger than the area that once housed the latches. Drill some new holes into these plates as well as the guitar case and rivet them on.

The idea is to strenghten the area with the plates so that the new rivtes hold better than the factory ones. A shot of black spray paint and your "new" case is ready to go.

Comment

Thank you! Sounds like a great idea!

Comment

I also might have mentioned that you can use some slightly larger rivets than what the factory used to make sure that all is solid and tight.

I also applied some clear (great bonding agent) silicone to the plate when popping in the rivets to really distribute the load. Overkill is a good thing when we are talking about a guitar case that carries your baby around eh?

Comment

Working...
        X