converting floyded setneck guitar to string-thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting floyded setneck guitar to string-thru

i was thinking about converting a setneck guitar equipped with a recessed FR to a string-thru hardtail..

problem is that the neck is set (no shimming possible), and that the neck sits flush with the body (no angle), so I figure I will run into problems..
    or depends this on the type of bridge I would use (I think a TOM is out of the equation here..) [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: converting floyded setneck guitar to string-thru

Well...you do still have options....either way the trem routes will be filled, so if you want to use the TOM bridge, the bridge will need to be recessed into the body like how Warrior Guitars are...
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

Re: converting floyded setneck guitar to string-thru

instead of butchering that axe, why don't you just get something like the Tremlo-No. turn your floyd into a hard tail but still be able to set it up to dive bomb only if you ever feel the need again.

cause what are you gonna do with the locking nut. just leave the nuts off?
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Re: converting floyded setneck guitar to string-t

Joel, that seems logical .. maybe even put a slight angle onto the wooden block to insert ?

oh yes, what is a Tremlo-No ?

Comment

Kinda like the Stabilizer, but it locks to be either non-moving at all or only allow dives without pullups.

Another option is to cut a block that fits into the trem cavity and the TOM is recessed and mounted into that block.

Or ask KMaynard if he can make you a Floyd-type baseplate with TOM mounts and then make a wood block that surrounds the sustain block to keep it from moving.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This brings up something that Ive always wanted to try. What if you remove the trem block from the trem, fill the cavity with a solid block of wood and then use the 3 screw holes in the floyd baseplate to screw the trem directly to the new wooden block with some wood screws. You could even leave the studs in there screwed down so the baseplate is flat on the body. As for height adjustments, loosen the wood screws, raise the posts to desired height and then use a shim under the plate made of some metal stock. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              oh yes, what is a Tremlo-No ?

[/ QUOTE ]http://www.tremol-no.com
              Be sure to check out the demo video.
              If you have any questions, feel free to email or IM me.

[ QUOTE ]
              This brings up something that Ive always wanted to try. What if you remove the trem block from the trem, fill the cavity with a solid block of wood and then use the 3 screw holes in the floyd baseplate to screw the trem directly to the new wooden block with some wood screws. You could even leave the studs in there screwed down so the baseplate is flat on the body. As for height adjustments, loosen the wood screws, raise the posts to desired height and then use a shim under the plate made of some metal stock. Anyone ever tried anything like this?

[/ QUOTE ] This isn't a terrible idea.
              The hard part is getting the bridge height correct, esp. with a set neck guitar.

Comment

Working...
              X