Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd post: Studs and Bushings or screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd post: Studs and Bushings or screws?

Which is better and why?

I'm guessing the screws would have better tone, but the studs are nice-fitting fine-threaded.

Re: Floyd post: Studs and Bushings or screws?

Studs are easier to adjust... that's about all I can come up with.
    -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Studs are easier to adjust... that's about all I can come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, thought of that as well. I have screws into the guitar now, but I didn't do the best of a job (still works great, the screws are just a little too far forward) with a hand drill. I'm thinking of pluging and re-drilling (with a press) for bushings and studs.

When I drilled the first time, I think I used the scientific method of putting the Schaller in the route and marking where the screws should go, then drilled.

Now I have an OFR, and things aren't lining up the same. The OFR can go back further from the neck.

Comment

I'd plug it and re-drill for studs and bushings.
        And yea... definately use a press.
        I have a hand drill with two bubble levels on it to tell you if your aligned properly, but it only takes one slip to screw it all up.
        -Rick

Comment

Screws sound better, studs are more "heavy duty" and easier to andust.

Comment

My screws work fine. Maybe it's best not to fix it if it ain't broken?

Comment

That's typicaly the best option. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Now about that Schaller yer swappin' out... any plans for it? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              -Rick

Comment

Already in my beautiful Black/Red Charvel Fusion Deluxe Body / Jackson Fusion Professional Ebony/MOP neck. EMG81 / EMG-S running at 18 volts - it's not going anywhere soon.

Comment

Had to ask [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                  -Rick

Comment

Studs and bushings are a better choice in terms of reliability. Screws have been known to loosen over time...that's why studs/bushings were developed in the 80's and why they replaced the screws.
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

So maybe I should drill. I can see why - the larger diameter bushing would have more wood "surface area" holding it in place.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Studs and bushings are a better choice in terms of reliability. Screws have been known to loosen over time...that's why studs/bushings were developed in the 80's and why they replaced the screws.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        +1 Reliability is affected over time. The pressure on the screw threads will affect fit over time. Also making adjustments effectively "loosens" the thread/to wood interface over time. A quick fix is to take a pipette and apply thin superglue or Nitro lacquer to the threads, letting the glue or lacquer time to "soak" into the threads downhole. Let dry and you have a hardened set of threads, less prone to breaking down. This works provided the threads are not stripped out. Otherwise you have to plug and start over. This trick goes for neck bolts and pickguard screws as well.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The tone argument probably has some validity to my ear )I have been comparing this recently). The only real issue is that for what ever reason, in some woods the screws begin to pull forward over time as the wood fails, elongating the holes - destroying the holes/finish and requiring a dowel/redrill (and a refin/touch up). The bushing/screw combo appears to be stable and while not quite as good for tone - will not fail.

Convensional Wisdom says leave it alone, but keep and eye on the posts and if they start to go forward, I would install the bushings and be done with it.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                          X