Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do heavy strings need more springs?

Hi,

I have a Kelly KE3 and have always tuned to D G C F A D.

I have gradually got thicker strings and now play 49 - 11 gauge.

I tried tuning to E A D G B E and the tremelo is going too high an angle.

The guitar only came with 3 tremelo springs, do I have to get more springs to increase the tension enough to get the tremelo to rest properly or is there another way without going back to lighter gauge strings?

Are all Jackson springs the same?

s

Re: Do heavy strings need more springs?

Not necessarily.
    You could just tighten up the tension on the existing springs.
    Just tighten the screws on the spring claw. You will have to play with it a bit to get the trem flat again.
    There's a thread here somewhere about adjusting a floyd.
    -Rick

Comment

There's also replies to the second thread you posted on this in the General section. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have tightened the claw to its limit, there is still about two centimetres but it is hard to turn the screws further and I don't want to thread them.

Sorry for the double post in the other section but I just realised this question is better suited to Tech Q&A

s

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          there is still about two centimetres

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean there is 2cm (0.79") clearance between the back of the metal spring claw and the rear of the wood cavity? If so, you should still be able to tighten the screws more. I have many guitars where there is only 1/8" (3mm) clearance. You are noticing that the screws are getting tight as they are now drilling their own hole in the wood. Again, going carefully/slowly with a good screwdriver bit, you should be fine. If the screws are so tight you think they might break, you can remove them completely, and drill a small pilot hole deeper into the wood, which will make the screws easier to turn when cutting new deeper threads. Or you could add another spring, then move the spring claw back until the trem is flat.

The basic rule of thumb is that you tighten the screws to lower the trem, and when you come to the point that you can't tighten them anymore, then add another spring

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

You mean there is 2cm (0.79") clearance between the back of the metal spring claw and the rear of the wood cavity?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

[ QUOTE ]
            drill a small pilot hole deeper into the wood,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thought about this but I assume my drill is too large and it wouldn't be able to fit into the cavity properly to align with the screw holes.

I may get a sturdier screwdriver and try to bore the screws deeper into the guitar, better still I'll see if my music store has spare springs.

s

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

I have thought about this but I assume my drill is too large and it wouldn't be able to fit into the cavity properly

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing until I finally strapped my wife down to a table and showed her who was in charge. She now has a whole different attitude. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I thought the same thing until I finally strapped my wife down to a table and showed her who was in charge

[/ QUOTE ]

Just when I was going to suggest he try a flexible shaft [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Back to the thread .... I found at a local hardware store some small diameter drills that were about 12" (300mm) long. Only about the first few inches had the drill flutes, the rest was smooth. Since their diameter was small, they were flexible enough that I could use my hand to kinda bend the drill to fit into the screw bore straight and still have the drill motor clear the body. I used a low RPM on the drill motor and supported the drill with my other hand while the drill was spinning.

And remember, you want the drill to be about half the diameter of the screw, so a 1mm to 1.5mm drill should do the trick.

Comment

Two extra springs solved the problem, thanks guys.

s

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I may get a sturdier screwdriver and try to bore the screws deeper into the guitar, better still I'll see if my music store has spare springs.

s

[/ QUOTE ]

DON`T do this without drilling pilot holes... you´ll likely tear the screw heads off and have a 20x larger issue than you have now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

DON`T do this without drilling pilot holes... you´ll likely tear the screw heads off and have a 20x larger issue than you have now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I was reluctant to tighten them further as they were pretty tight.

I thought it may be more of an issue that I'd thread them, crack the wood or have them wedged in too tight to undo.

s

Comment

Working...
                        X