EMG wiring question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG wiring question..

Why is it necessary to solder the braided part of the EMG wire to the back of the volume knob?
    I am trying to extend the wire on an older EMG and am trying to figure out the best way to extend the braided part. If I only had to extend the center part that attaches to the volume knob it would be a no brainer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks,
    rich

Re: EMG wiring question..

Rich, just extend the braided part just like you would extend the center white part. Solder a wire right to the braided ground, wrap it up, and then run that wire to the ground. However, if it's a Jackson guitar they often included a grounding screw in the pickup route. You can wire the braided EMG ground to this screw as long as the screw has a wire to any ground in the loop.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

My black NASL came with EMGs and they had the braided shield exposed and soldered to the pot casing, but the tips were still fully wrapped running to the switch. It took me a minute to figure out how they did it, but basically they just cut away some of the coating about mid-ways along the wire to expose the braid.

Or you can do it like Joe said with the jumper soldered fro mthe braid to the pot (which is how I've been doing it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

And something else I found odd: EMG says you don't need a ground from the trem claw to the pot, but it had one anyway. No shocks, no hum, no buzz, so I guess you CAN do it that way. They also had all the screwed grounds under the pickups and in the cavity connected to the pots.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks guys!I found it odd too that they need to be grounded but better safe than sorry.

rich

Comment

I grounded mine (out of habbit). By not grounding your strings, your guitar is safer to use (less chance for electrocution) because you are no longer connected to anything electrical.

Comment

Working...
          X