Short pickup leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short pickup leads

The search function doesn't like me, so you'll have to live with a new thread. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I have a set of EMGs, 85b/81n to be specific, and now want to swap their positions. Seeing as the 85 was the bridge pickup, it's lead is too short to be soldered to anything... how would I go about adding more lead to the existing stuff? I can't solder myself, though I have several friends who can and not much money to spend. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The EMGs go in a Concept JDR I'm setting up as a backup&"beater" guitar... I want it to sound predictable (in case I have to play thru another amp or something, and just because), hence the 81 in the bridge. And in case my memory served me wrong and those things aren't called leads, I'm talking of the damned wires coming from the pups. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Short pickup leads

I'm guessing these aren't the quick-conect type?
    And I'm also guessing that if they're hard-wired, whoever installed them was so dumb as to clip the leads down so far so they could never be swapped?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yes, they're the old style. How long does the remaining wire have to be to be replaced? There's still a few inches left, so that both the red and the braid/white wires reach a bit into the electronics cavity. I'd take a picture if I had a camera, just imagine the wire so long that it's barely enough to be soldered into place when the pup is in the bridge position.

Comment

Yes, you can solder yourself..seriously try it, don'be be afraid. Extending the wire is easy, just wrap them, solder and heatshrink (or wrap and tape for ghetto style) but the EMG requires soldering the braided part to the back of the volume knob. I just left a post about that for which I have no answer.
        rich

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          And I'm also guessing that if they're hard-wired, whoever installed them was so dumb as to clip the leads down so far so they could never be swapped?

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, thanks for calling me a dumb ass! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I always clip the leads for a neater looking wiring job in the control cavity. You just made me realize how many pickups I've fucked up. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I just make a loop in the control cavity with the excess wire. Looks plenty neat and if I want to change or sell the pickups, someone else can use it without any problems.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, thanks for calling me a dumb ass! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I always clip the leads for a neater looking wiring job in the control cavity. You just made me realize how many pickups I've fucked up. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
              Nice job, dumbass! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] J/K
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X