My first bass!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first bass!

So,since I left my band I bought myself a a six strings bass! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
    It's a Samick artist serie,anyone have experience with it? I bought it used online for 250€...I believe it's neck thru body too...

Re: My first bass!

Is it a "Fairlane"? I heard they were very good! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] 250 Euro! Is it new? That's a killer price! Congrats [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I bought it used,I dunno if it's a fairlane!I'm a totally newbie about basses!

Comment

Have you played bass before?

Do you plan to use your fingers or a pick?

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I just used my former bassist instrument during rehersals breaks. I'd like to play it using fingers but I don't mind using picks!I have to practice when I'll get it!

Comment

Re: Pic!

Comment

There are certain advantages to starting on a 5 or 6 string bass early in one's bass playing career. If you are using a pick, it shouldn't be that difficult to use a 5 or 6 stringer.

If you plan to play using your fingers, there are some definite techniques to be aware of to keep open strings from ringing. This applies to a four string bass, but becomes even more important with 5s and 6s.

I started playing on a four string bass, and before I started taking lessons, I had a problem with open strings ringing (I play using my fingers). My instructor showed me how to avoid unwanted ringing, which was not difficult to learn.

When I told him I wanted to get a five string bass, he showed me the proper technique for string musting, and it is more involved than the technique for four string basses. I asked him about six string basses, and he discouraged me from going down this road.

I now have good technique on my fiver, and the fifth string does not feel like it is extra and in the way; I know how it incorporates into scales, and my muting technique is such that I never play a four string, even on songs that were originally played on one. My instructor even comments on how I can rip through fairly intense Rush songs, and despite the extra, unused B string, everything sounds very clean.

Anyway, my point is, that if you plan to use your fingers when playing, it will be worth your while to learn proper muting technique from an instructor, or worst case, from some kind of book or something.

Just my two cents; take it however you like.

Nice looking bass, by the way.

- Eric
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Actually I bought this bass just to record some lines along the music I'm writing at home. I will practice a bit then I'll choose what kind of pickin I should use!

Comment

Mordor, Yea that is a neck through Artist! Cool guitar. I just bought a new Fairlane FN5/6. It's a six string bolt on neck with extension, "high tech maple" (Photoflame) top in transparent red. It should be here Thursday.
                  Just play the bass. I use both pick and fingers (not at the same time of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) I've been playing the bass as a secondary instrument for years and I taught myself listening to bassists. My favorite styles are Geddy Lee and Chris Squire, who uses a pick by the way. Congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Cool! You'll be able to get into some Les Claypool/Primus with that bass! Les tunes in all 4ths (BEADGC).

Probably stating the obvious, but just be aware that if you tune it like a guitar (major 3rd between 3rd and 2nd string, D-F#), you'll be able to do all your guitar based licks, but it will be transposed down a 4th. This is good if you're a muscle memory kind of guy.

Some 6th stringers actually make a major 3rd between 2nd and 1st string so that it's a G B interval like on a guitar. It'll like a 7 string guitar without the high E. This is good if you're a reader (not me!)

oh, and again stating the obvious, but the 6 string tabs will be wrong for basses not tuned in 4ths.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

This sucker just came in. The Samick "Fairlane" FN5/6, 6 string. The flame is fantastic on this (pics don't do justice) and it wraps around the sides. I can't wait for a sunny day and I'll shoot some more pics. I played it a little. The battery was DOA and my brand new Duracell was DOA too. I took one of those Eric Johnson batteries out of one of my pedals, slapped her in and off I went. My first 6 string. The workmanship is on par with my more expensive 4 strings. The body is smaller than I thought it would be and balances well for a bass with a 6 string neck. I'm going to rout the back for a battery box this weekend, so I don't have to unscrew the control cover everytime to change the battery. I'll probably void my Lifetime Warranty, but I can fix anything myself.

Comment

Congrats!It looks sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        I played my bass for 3 hours today!Well,now I can say I really love this instrument,its sound opened lots of possibilities in my mind and I could not stop playin it!The funny thing is that my hand get used to its size after some minutes,but I when I put it down and started to play my archtop.....it felt tiny as hell! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                        I was like "Wtf,how am I supposed to play this little thing now?!" [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                        It felt very very strange! I hope it won't change my style....

Comment

Yea, I'll bet your archtop felt like a skinny Rickenbacker neck after playing on the bass "football field" neck. When I play up high I feel as I'm running all over a soccer field! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          My output jack started to crackle today and found out the jack (Panel jack is what they used) was rotating somewhat causing it to pop and hiss. Not good with active electronics! So I cranked down on the hex nut inside the cavity and she's good to go. I love that low B string, almost sub harmonic! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

That looks awesome, Congrats!

Comment

Dudes... pretty freakin' schweet!! Congrats Mordor and Bengal! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              I'm curious if these 6 string basses are much heavier than "normal"?
                              I dunno, just seems to me like they would be. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Good times.

And Eric... I'd also be curious to know something about this muting technique of yours, I wonder if it's similar to what I do? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X