Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem post spacings..

Hey all,

I've been restoring a few bodies from different manufactures and so far all but one (an 80's bc rich) have the standard floyd spacing of 74.3mm. For whatever reason, the post spacing on this body seems to be 1/16th of an inch smaller than a standard floyd. By coincidence, I have a no name floyd immation here that seems to fit this spacing but I have no idea who made it. Does anyone have any idea what bridges would fit this smaller post spacing? I can get exact MM measurements when I get home. Was this route meant for an ibaneze edge?
    Thanks for any help in this matter,
    Rich

Re: Trem post spacings..

Here's a thread from ProjectGuitar with a ton of trem spacing info:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/in...?showtopic=633

Unless the BC has been modified, I highly doubt it's Ibanez Edge/LoPro-ready.

Comment

My 80's USA st3 had an original edge on it. It was gone by the time I got it. This was a surface mount trem so it was next to impossible to find another long block original edge. My measurements concluded the same as you that the spacing was slightly narrower than normal floyd spacing. I finally got a hold of some edge trem posts that worked perfect for the inserts that were in there and lo and behold all of my floyd type trems fit perfectly. Im currently using the schaller charvel trem from my busted 650xl and it fits perfectly. also, yeah, some of the 80's models came with an edge trem, from what Ive been able to dig up. If you need a pic of my trem setup I can post it for you.

Comment

Wow, great info guys!

Carbuff, I measured again last night and it is definitly 1mm smaller than standard floyd.

I don't understand how a normal floyd worked with the narrower spacing? Is it so minor difference that it doesnt matter, or did the post inserts make up for the difference in size?

I'll post a pic tonight of the floyd knockoff that also measures this 1mm smaller width. Maybe somebody will recognize the make so I can order one in black.

Rich

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know Edge trems came stock on anything other than Ibanez guitars.
          Interesting.

Comment

One interesting (and sad) fact about BC rich is that Bernie Rico didn't know shit about tremelos. He jumped from knockoff to knockoff trying to save $$ not using a real floyd & thinking they were just as good. That's why Gunslingers have about 7 or 8 different style routes. The takeuchi floyds were the best, some were absolute crap you wouldn't put on an import. Remember, these were top of the line USA made guitars at the time. It sucks because gunslingers are some of my favorite playing guitars of all time (try the necks & the oem dimarzio's they came with, you will love them) next to jacksons but everytime I buy one I am put through the inconvience of finding out what will fit in it and then spending the extra $$ on a real floyd. I am going to put together a guide soon with photos of all the different routes I have encountered and what blocks/stud inserts/plates will fit what. The body I am refering to above is the first I have seen with this particular route/spacing.

Rich

Comment

Working...
            X