body-no neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body-no neck

Here's a question I have been pondering. If I were to obtain a guitar body (dinky style) without a neck what, if any, are the methods available to determine what kind neck to use on it?

It can't be just trial and error can it?
    Occupy JCF

Re: body-no neck

well, heal width is obvious, just measure the pocket. as far as scale length, that's a tough one that i would like to know myself. i know how to measure scale length but once you take the neck off where do you measure now???

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

That's exactly what I'm trying to determine.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

AFAIK the distance from the neck pocket to the bridge is different between 24 and 22 fret models, but HOW different, I don't know.
        I guess if you know one, you can find the other [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

If you know what model the body is from, that might lend some insight.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, yeah, knowing the model is the perfect scenario, but we all know that from eBay people just don't always know.

I'm looking for a formula or a method to determine that by just having a body, no info on the model or anything.(that is, if it exists)
          Occupy JCF

Comment

I'd say center of bridge posts to deepest edge of neck pocket.

Measuring a WRXT body with a set of digital calipers, which is known to only be available in 24 frets, I get 5.94"/150.89mm from the center of the bridge posts to the center of the rear edge of the neck pocket.
            The body has not been worked on - that's the factory-cut neck pocket.
            And that was measured with the neck and bridge completely off the body so I have unobstructed access to the datum points.

I don't have an unmolested 22 fret body for comparison. I do have a JSX-94 body, but that was definitely a 22 fretter, and I think I've done things to the pocket [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I think you can figure it out if you know what type bridge you are putting on it. For instance, if it's an OFR, you need 25" from the center of the posts to the nut. Measure the distance between the center of the posts and the back of the neck pocket. Subtract that number from 25 (or whatever it should be for the type bridge you're using), and you have the distance you need from the nut to the heel of the neck. Now you just have to find a neck with that heel to nut dimension and the right heel width.

Comment

Todd, don't sweat it bro. I've found from many years of experience that most any neck will fit on most any body. True fact. Now, I'll admit, if you're going to start getting anal about tuning, intonation, etc, then yeah, you might want to do a little further investigation, but those little details never really mattered to me. If you need proof, I'll send you an MP3 of me playing one of my mutts. I'll guarantee you won't be able to tell whether the guitar intonates properly or not. I promise you that! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm tempted to say that if it's a H-S-S layout, and there's "extra" room between the neck and middle pickups (enough to expand the neck route to fit a hum and still be evenly spaced from the middle pickup), then it had a 22 fret neck, however, this extra space was not always done, and I do believe I've seen the same spacing on 24 fretters.

Comment

Working...
                  X