Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC problems

Hi all,
    My APC's are installed by my tech but they sound bassy and dull. They lack a lot of highs and I'm pretty dissapointed so to speak. I thought they should sound bright and clear but this is not the case.

Now, I'm wondering if someone recognizes my complaint as something that has to do with the wiring. Maybe there has been made a mistake that causes to make my pickups sound bad.

Ize

Re: APC problems

What ohm pots were used in the install?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I think 500K but I have to check that.

Comment

I have to say my APCs sound really bassy as well, I am talking about the PLC here. But then I like bassy guitar tones so I am ok with it.

Comment

try moving the pickup away from the strings on the low E side. they are very sensitive to their distance from the strings.

the persuader lead custom is their most bassy heavy pup. thats why i went with just the persuader lead. sounds amazing in a basswood body.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Melvin says it could be the capacitor. There's a 47 microfarad capacitor in there, but isn't this only cutting highs when the tonepot is being turned? It shouldn't do anything when it's open, right?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Melvin says it could be the capacitor. There's a 47 microfarad capacitor in there, but isn't this only cutting highs when the tonepot is being turned? It shouldn't do anything when it's open, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
              47 will definitely make your tone darker (and it's mostly used in basses). I'd use something like a 22.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks bud. How low would you go for the capacitor value if you'd go to the minimum? Nice Bradley-quote btw. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't bother. Thanks for the advice. I found some more info on:

click -> GuitarNuts.com

Comment

Do you use the tone control? If not, just disconnect it, you will hear an increase of highs due to the lack of the tone pot loading in the circuit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Do you use the tone control? If not, just disconnect it, you will hear an increase of highs due to the lack of the tone pot loading in the circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that's what I do, tone knobs are for girls.

Comment

Haven't had a tone knob on one of my guitars for 20 years...

Comment

yeah on my new Sully guitar i told sully to just put 1 volume and a 3 way blade. - no need to roll off the highs in metal.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I never used a tone control in the '80s, but I find myself using it now. I still don't use it that much, but it's nice for a little darker tone now and then. The best tone controls, though, are EMGs or Hamer... very responsive!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X