Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing paint from *on top of* clear coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing paint from *on top of* clear coat?

I'll just start by saying that I didn't do it!

[img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Now then, what would be the safest method for removing paint that is spilled onto a clearcoated surface, without stripping any of the clear?
    sigpic

Re: Removing paint from *on top of* clear coat?

what type of paint did you spill and is the factory finish nitro or poly?

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Use your fingernail. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Or a guitar pick. Use a little Windex to get loosen it up. Or call me stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Perfect for this is bodyshop clay, or a claybar kit. Clay Magic is a big popular one, but mothers/meguiars etc all make them. They come in grades, so theres bound to be one thatll take it back to fresh.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          what type of paint did you spill and is the factory finish nitro or poly?

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most relevant question yet [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]. What type of finish? What type of paint was spilled on it? If it's a poly finish, and the paint spilled on it is lacquer, enamel, or latex, I'd use lacquer thinner and wipe it off, then buff the shine back. If it's a lacquer finish I'd be very careful about trying to remove it (especially if you're not sure what was spilled on it). If lacquer was spilled on a lacquer finish you're pretty much screwed. Otherwise, lightly scraping with a razor blade, and a final polishing will probably work best. The clay is great for removing overspray, but for anything thicker it really isn't the ticket. If you try the clay or rubbing compunds (depending on the above variables) you'll likely cut through the surrounding finish trying to remove the spill.
          BTW, how the hell did you spill paint on the guitar??? You weren't trying to ebonize that fretboard were you??? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Fire! And lots of it!
            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

This was so important that I forgot I asked!

Ahem, now then. It doesn't involve a guitar at all, but rather some paint on furniture. I have no idea what kind of paint it was, but it's all over my kitchen table. Apparently my wife was having "arts and crafts hour" and something took a wrong turn!

[img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
              sigpic

Comment

Little bit of Endust and a fingernail or a lot of Endust and a credit card. For scraping, not for a new table. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                X