No announcement yet.

Gigging musicians and string changes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging musicians and string changes..

Just curious... how do you guys handle gigging and string changes. I used to change strings for every gig but for the past few years I have been changing strings on my gigging guitars every other gig (1 change per month). I really never play my gigging guitars at home or at band rehearsal. I use my beaters for home noodling and rehearsals. I always keep my guitars and strings in great shape. I am not one of those sweaty players. Most of the time, when I do change strings its not really necessary.

Re: Gigging musicians and string changes..

I rotate among several guitars for gigs, but also use most at practice and at home. I honestly only change strings about twice a year on each guitar, because I don't play any single guitar enough to warrant doing it more often.

My usual "schedule" when changing strings is to change them, then get about an hour's use at home or practice before using that guitar live or to record.
    sigpic

Comment

Well I have three main guitars that I bring to shows with me, and I'll change the strings on whatever one I'll be playing the most a few days before each show, then I'll look and change the other ones when I have time and I feel like they need to be changed. I love how fresh Blue Steels sound!

Comment

I use D-Addadio XL's and I don't hear any noticeable difference in tone between a new set and a set that has been on for a few months. Also, I don't notice any added string breakage between an old set and a new set. It seems to me that if a string is gonna break, it doesn't matter if its old or new. Like I said earlier, I VERY rarely break strings and I pick really hard, bend hard and am a very heavy whammy bar user. Thats the best thing about Ibanez guitars. The low pro is very easy on strings. For the past 3 years since I have playing PRS guitars, I have never broken a string.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I rotate among several guitars for gigs, but also use most at practice and at home. I honestly only change strings about twice a year on each guitar, because I don't play any single guitar enough to warrant doing it more often.

My usual "schedule" when changing strings is to change them, then get about an hour's use at home or practice before using that guitar live or to record.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second his motion, i personaly prefer broken in strings, now if they get too old then i change. And i always change all strings if i break one.

Comment

I've probably broken one string in the last 25 or so gigs... been real lucky that way, but I have a light touch. I tend to change strings when they start getting gunk on them. My sweat is corrosive, I get about 10 playing hours a set before they start getting black on the plain strings, no matter what the brand is.

Comment

I usually change all my guitars about once a month. I play all my guitars a lot. I don't let any one of them really sit for too long. I'm not sure if I could handle changing strings for every gig. It's takes a good couple of days for me to break in a new set. I also oil all my ebony boards once a year.
              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I don't like to change strings too often. New strings always take a few playing sessions to stretch out... I like how older strings stay in tune better. Course maybe there's something I can do to get new strings to settle in a bit quicker?

Comment

I change mine about 1 1/2 months or so. It's more frequent in the summer when I sweat more and my strings gunk up faster. But I never change them right before a show, I give them a couple of days to get broke in.

Comment

during down time i change the strings on the guitar i'm playing the most every 2 weeks.

giging, i don't want to play a string that has been on the guitar for more than 4 dys. but i'll leave the old strings on my back up guitar.

studio, every 3-4 days.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I change every couple of months or if the strings ( fret board) start feeling grungy. I'm not a 'sweaty" player either. I also use Stringlife which I think helps alot.

Comment

Back when I was gigging (usually once or twice a week) I would change my strings after every about third show. I used to beat the shit out of my Model 3 pretty hard, so sometimes I'd change them the next day coz I knew I just kicked the living hell out of them the night before. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A full day of practice is enough to get them stretched out good. I mean practice and not all out axe-rape. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Steve Cropper once told me that he only changed strings when they broke ! Later he came to recognize the difference in tone when recording a guitar with "new" strings as opposed to old ones. I have six electrics that I use for gigging. I usually bring two or three to a gig, depending on the type of gig. I use very heavy strings, bend heavy, use the trem heavy...and rarely break strings. I usually change strings (the complete set) about once a year or soo....but if they are rusting....(poor maintence on my part), I will change them sooner!

Comment

Personally, I notice a tone difference the longer my strings stay on. I do over 100 shows per year and I used to change my strings weekly on at least 5 different guitars. Since I changed to Exixir strings I now tend to change my strings every 3 weeks. I could probably wait longer but I don't want to get to a gig and start having a string lose it's tone on me. Elixirs sound great and really do last longer.
                            Screamin'

Comment

I don't change strings before each gig, but I do clip the ends of the strings (by the saddle) on my Floyds. I've found that if I do that before each show I never break a string and I can use the same set of strings for several gigs.

Comment

Working...
                              X