Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 mini switches a giant pain in the ass for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 mini switches a giant pain in the ass for you?

They are a pain in the ass for me! I hate them because they are cumbersome to use quickly, but they do offer pickup combinations you can't get with a 5 way. Here's what I did:

I used a spring loaded push/push pot with a dpdt switch, but you can use a garden variety push pull as well. Knob down only the bridge pickup works and the mini switches are bypassed. Knob up engages the miniswitches. Pretty much like a Tom Anderson 'Blower' switch, but you do not need to make permanent mods for an extra switch. This way you can use your mini switches as presets, with a push/push or push/pull pot you can just use your tone knob for quickie pickup changes. You could use a push/pull volume knob if you desire.

Re: 3 mini switches a giant pain in the ass for yo

I haven't had any problems with the mini-switches myself, but that is a really cool mod you've done there! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks, I like to toggle quickly between the neck and bridge pickups a lot, and I find those switches cumbersome to use quickly, like for solos.

Comment

I like to locate the 3 minis as close together as I can that way you can do all your switching with a thumb and forefinger in one move.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That's a cool idea. I don't have any guitars with the mini switch config, but if I ever do, I want to set it up just like that!

Comment

I actually love the mini switches and have a project in the works where I took the five-way switch out and will have the three on/off switches put in. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Mini toggles are for players who don't flip from neck to bridge pickup quickly live. I'll add another pickup selector contraption that doesn't work live. The PRS 5 pos rotary switch. It sucks. BIG. Not as bad as 3 mini toggles.. but bad.
              Regarding mini-toggles, I can't imagine having to flip from neck to bridge and back to neck I would have to:
              Flip the bridge pickup off and then flip the neck pickup on and then flip the neck pickup off and flip the bridge pickup on. Thats nutz. Its cool if your home noodling but it ain't gonna work live.

Comment

I don't even play live anymore and it is still a hassle. I've done this mod in the past to other guitars that had 3 mini's, and I thought it might be useful a mod for others who are like me. I've found some great guitars that had 3 mini's, and without the mod they would be pretty useless for me and probably would have passed on them. 99% of the time I'm either using the bridge or the neck pickup, so if I have the mini's preset to the neck position, all I have to do is tap the push/push tone knob to change pickups, it's actually faster than using a 3 way or 5 way.

It's completely reversable, so if you mod a collector Charvel or something, you can put it back to stock very easily.

Comment

I used to love 3 minis. But I've grown to love 5-ways instead. They really give me all I need, and switches happen so much faster.

Comment

This is exactly why 1 hum / 1 vol rules!!! .......or maybe I'm just getting simple in my old age! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Not at all, @ problems, I prefer 3 switches on a 3 pup guitar, and I´ve never had problems switching live....

[ QUOTE ]
                      Mini toggles are for players who don't flip from neck to bridge pickup quickly live. ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I do... still haven´t had problems, just flick your neck pickup "on" with the pick and use your pinky to turn the bridge off... or vice versa.. it´s really just a technique issue IMO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X