Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing studs for tune-o-matic style bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing studs for tune-o-matic style bridge?

Hey guys, how might I go about removing the studs for a tune-o-matic style bridge?

I have a warmoth body, and I'm not satisfied with the finish job I did on it. I'm finally gonna get around to prepping it up for a refin soon. It has a gotoh 510 bridge, which is the one piece wraparound tune-o-matic for carved top bodies.

How might I go about removing the studs? Or, better yet, is it ok to just mask them off and spray over it?

Re: Removing studs for tune-o-matic style bridge?

if you mask them off (which i guess you could), i'd still be a bit nervous about getting paint and paint debris in the bushings and messing up the threads.

there's a stewmac bushing puller tool, and i'd first recommend that, but another way you could try involves a pink pearl eraser, a claw hammer, and a hand towel. put the posts in the studs, put the eraser on the guitar body (to protect it from the pressure), and wrap the claw of the hammer with the towel (so you don't scrape up the hardware). raise the thumbwheels up so the claw can get underneath them and GENTLY pry them up. you have to be careful because you don't wanna damage the threads, but once you get the bushing a little loose, you should be able to pull them out by hand.

i'm sure there's other and potentially safer ways, but that should work.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The Stew Mac stud puller like Sully mentioned. The cleanest way to do it.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

There is a better way to do it than the claw hammer, and much cheaper than the Stew Mac tool, but it's kinda hard to explain, I'll do my best.

You will need a small block of wood(maybe 3"x3" and 1 1/2" thick) and a washer large enough to fit on the post.

The very first thing you should do is take and Xacto knife and carefully score the finish that may well be covering the bushing so that when you pull it out you won't pull up a chip in your guitar's finish.

First drill a hole in the center of the block that is big enough for the threads of the post to fit through, but not the washer. Then on ONE SIDE of the block you should remove material AROUND the hole, making it wide enough for the bushing to pass into it, but leave about 1/4"(thickness) of wood at the thinnest part, around the first hole. Ideally you should have a stepped hole that is about 3/4" in radius and 1-1.25" deep, and then a smaller hole passing completely through the block.

Place the block with the larger hole facing towards the body of the guitar, using propper padding to protect the guitars finish. Place the post with the washer around it through the smaller hole and thread the post into the bushing.

Now when you tighten the post it will tighten against the block and pull the bushing straight from the body of your guitar.

I can try and take pictures today if you think that will help you...

Comment

Wow, Ace, that is a great way to do it. Why didn't I think of that?

Comment

Thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            It'll be a while before I get to this, but I figured I'd ask.

You guys rock!

Steve

Comment

For those that can't quite picture what Ace is talking about:

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X