george lynch style electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• george lynch style electronics

ive got a guitar im building and i have it routed so that it is humbucker + a single coil at the neck and i would like it so that i could switch from pickup to pickup with the volume knob.
    will this type of pot do the job, and can anyone draw me up a wiring diagram?

Long Shaft Pot DPDT Push/Pull Switch

ALPS brand 500K Audio Taper Long Shaft Push Pull Pot. Double pole/double throw (DP/DT) switch can be used for coil tap, reverse phase, series/parallel and other functions. 3/4� threaded shaft length. Split knurled shaft with coarse spines.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat....2controlpots/
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: george lynch style electronics

Yes, that pot/switch combo is what you want.

As far as wiring, the center tabs on the switch (you can just use one side of switch) is the 'common', so you want a wire from the center switch tab to go to the volume 'hot' side. Then the humbucker 'hot' wire goes to the bottom tab of the switch (so hum is on when knob is in down position) and the single coil 'hot' wire goes to the upper tab (so single coil is on when you pull up on the knob). Like any other volume pot, the center tab of the pot goes to the input 'hot' and the other tab on the pot gets soldered to the pot/switch body, which is ground. Naturally the ground wires from the two pickups and the input jack get soldered to the pot/switch body also.

Here's a crude diagram...I kinda separated the volume portion from the switch portion as they do different functions and it might help you understand, and I left off the ground wires from the pickups and jack..

I'll try to take pics of my ESP Kami for ya tonight...

[image][/image]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Yes, that pot/switch combo is what you want.

As far as wiring, the center tabs on the switch (you can just use one side of switch) is the 'common', so you want a wire from the center switch tab to go to the volume 'hot' side. Then the humbucker 'hot' wire goes to the bottom tab of the switch (so hum is on when knob is in down position) and the single coil 'hot' wire goes to the upper tab (so single coil is on when you pull up on the knob). Like any other volume pot, the center tab of the pot goes to the input 'hot' and the other tab on the pot gets soldered to the pot/switch body, which is ground. Naturally the ground wires from the two pickups and the input jack get soldered to the pot/switch body also.

Here's a crude diagram...I kinda separated the volume portion from the switch portion as they do different functions and it might help you understand, and I left off the ground wires from the pickups and jack..

I'll try to take pics of my ESP Kami for ya tonight...

[image][/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

im a total electronics noob, so i dont really know what your talking about, but im sure my physics teacher can help me out with this. Thanks alot!! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's a pic of the pot/switch....it is very close to what I drew up. The only difference is they used more of the switch tabs.

So here's the explaination (see pic below)
        First, left side of pic, the 'pot' wires
        top pot tab = hot side of pot, white wire going to both center tabs of switch
        center pot tab = white wire going to 'hot' side of jack
        bottom pot tab = ground wire (solid silver color) going to switch body

Switch wires:
        Left upper tab - not used
        Left lower tab - single coil 'hot' wire (white that's coming out of the red shrink wrap in this case)
        Middle upper tab - white wire connected to pot 'hot' as above
        Middle lower tab - continuation of white pot 'hot' wire
        Right upper tab - humbucker 'hot' wire (black in this case)
        Right lower tab - not used

Ground wires from 1) jack ground, 2) single coil ground, and 3) humbucker ground soldered to switch body
        FYI, The blue wire in the pic is the negative side of the humbucker, and is soldered to ground/switch body also.
        FYI #2, the red and white wires in the area of the lower right of the pic are the humbucker 'tap' wires, and are soldered together and taped off.

[image][/image]

Comment

What timing. (Reading my mind) This is too cool. I'm building a Kami IV LE right now and was about to ask the same question. Thanks for the great information.

Do you know if the Kami IV LE has a tilted sawtooth headstock? From pics I've seen it looks tilted back with the top adjust truss rod. But what confuses me is that they use the Floyd string retainer on that headstock, since that method is usually used on a straight headstock.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Go here to look at some of Lynch's guitars, the pics at this site are better then most others.
            Scroll/browse down to the ESP sig. section and you'll see his guitars. Click on the pick and you get a larger pic to view.
            http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/in...amp;BrandID=12
            I have the kami1 great guitar, BUT, have to take the neck off to adjust the truss rod. Yeah, that part sucks big time.
            After looking at his guitars, it looks like "skulls and snakes" and the "kami4" have the trus rod adjust at the headstock.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I have the Kami IV LE (also the II and III and and LTD I), and yes the IVLE headstock is tilted back version like the Drumcity pics. The use of the string retainer on a tilt back is normal, look at all the other ESP guitar pics on DC's website that have tilt back headstocks. Even though the need for the string retainer isn't as great on a tilt headstock, it still helps to hold the string down against the floyd nut so it stays more in tune when you're locking the nut down.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I have the Kami IV LE (also the II and III and and LTD I), and yes the IVLE headstock is tilted back version like the Drumcity pics. The use of the string retainer on a tilt back is normal, look at all the other ESP guitar pics on DC's website that have tilt back headstocks. Even though the need for the string retainer isn't as great on a tilt headstock, it still helps to hold the string down against the floyd nut so it stays more in tune when you're locking the nut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I can agree with that, although I would think the clamps would be sufficent and I wasn't used to seeing that since all my tilt back Jackson's with Floyds do not use a string tree.
                Strange, but maybe they know something different? Thanks again for the info.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

thanks a bunch.

Comment

Working...
                  X