Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im planning a Steve Vai Green Meanie project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im planning a Steve Vai Green Meanie project.

Hey guys. Like the title says, Im making a GREEN MEANIE replica. I was thinking a musikraft neck, and possibly a warmoth body.

I have some questions[img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Question 1:
    Is a San Dimas Charvel body the same as a Standard Strat body? Like, I know its the basic same shape, but is it IDENTICAL?

Question 2:
    Next, I want this guitar to have a RECESSED Floyd Rose. From what I understand, Musikraft doesn't do this, do they? Id have to go to Warmoth for that? Warmoth or USACG? who's better?

Im trying to be as accurate as I can to an old Charvel.

Question 3:
    Is there like a specsheet on charvel necks? like what fretboard radius, heel width, size, scale, construction, woods, ect. stuff like that to make my neck as accurate as possible to Steve Vai's Green Meanie. (I love that guitar)

and last question:

Warmoth? Musikraft? USACG? who will give me closest to what I want (I have no problems using differnt manufacturer for the neck and body, IE a Musikraft neck and a warmoth body, ect.)

Please, somebody help me out. Just get me pointed in the right direction and I think I can get THIS project underway.

Thanks for any help. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Im planning a Steve Vai Green Meanie project.

i think to do a green meanie right you aren't going to be happy with a warmoth strat body - i think you're going to want to have a deeper cutaway. usacg can do the claw route and i believe they may even have the right body shape available.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I'll email them about that, thanks Tim.

You know, 2 nights ago, I had a dream that I found a music store I'd never been to before, so I went inside and right in the middle was a guitar just like the green meanie, just blue. Just what I wanted, charvel body +strathead maple neck, recessed floyd, and funky colored Dimarzio HSH config on a white pickguard. It was so cool, I ran over to it, touched it, and woke up. WAAAAAH!!! Didn't get to play it. oh well. I guess you'd call it a BLUE Meanie. (Hehe. . yellow submarine)

I guess you can see how much Im really lookin forward to this thing, Im startin to have DREAMS about it!

Its hard for me to express enough, how much this help means to me. Ive got a dream, and little knowledge of how to achieve it.

Does USACG have BASSWOOD? The options say Mahogany, Alder, and Ash, but I suppose there are many things NOT on the site that they can do.

Comment

I assume so. I haven't had much luck with USACG with my personal experience. I mailed full size drawings and a description recently and also several months ago on another guitar and I got no response from them. I'm busy and didn't have time to call them. I sent the identical set of drawings to Warmoth the same time I sent them to USACG. Ken Warmoth sent me an e-mail and called me the same day they got the request for quotation. I was set with one guitar. The other he could make but for a fee since they didn't have the templates or CNC program written for the routings I wanted. In steps Jim at Musikraft. He's got my business. He's making bodies and necks to specifics I gave him. I sent Jim pictures and he said, he would reference the picture and get me exactly what I want. Really Cool! These are specs that they don't have on their website. He's going above and beyond. So I'd give them a shout. You may have better luck with USACG than I had, so give them a try also.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one who has dreamed about that guitar! Mine was a Pink Meanie though.

Going back to bed now.
          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

nonamemx, you wouldn't be into MX racing would you? From your name I'm guess what it may stand for. I'm am for many years. Cuts into my guitar collecting and playing though! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

doesnt wayne make a green meanie body?

Comment

Man, this is freaky! I've been planning a somewhat Green Meanie project as well, but with my own color scheme and other small personal tastes.

Oh, and Wayne does offer a "Meanie Green" with a deep cutaway on the right horn, and the lion claw bridge routing.

Comment

www.wayneguitars.com for the body and www.musikraft.com for the strat head neck.

-Mike
                  www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I assume so. I haven't had much luck with USACG with my personal experience. I mailed full size drawings and a description recently and also several months ago on another guitar and I got no response from them. I'm busy and didn't have time to call them. I sent the identical set of drawings to Warmoth the same time I sent them to USACG. Ken Warmoth sent me an e-mail and called me the same day they got the request for quotation. I was set with one guitar. The other he could make but for a fee since they didn't have the templates or CNC program written for the routings I wanted. In steps Jim at Musikraft. He's got my business. He's making bodies and necks to specifics I gave him. I sent Jim pictures and he said, he would reference the picture and get me exactly what I want. Really Cool! These are specs that they don't have on their website. He's going above and beyond. So I'd give them a shout. You may have better luck with USACG than I had, so give them a try also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok cool, I was leaning away from Warmoth (Ive heard one too many stories about deteriorating quality, which is rather dissapointing) I rather leaning towards Musikraft, because charvel design neck sound like its JUST what would work. Thanks, I'll shoot some more emails.

[ QUOTE ]
                    Glad I'm not the only one who has dreamed about that guitar! Mine was a Pink Meanie though.

Going back to bed now.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Man, this is freaky! I've been planning a somewhat Green Meanie project as well, but with my own color scheme and other small personal tastes.

Oh, and Wayne does offer a "Meanie Green" with a deep cutaway on the right horn, and the lion claw bridge routing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds pretty cool. But thats Wayne guitars, which will be really expensive, wont it? I gotta maximize my dollar, I'm only 17, so I'm on a rather limited budget, I would like too keep this project BELOW $800

[ QUOTE ]
                      nonamemx, you wouldn't be into MX racing would you? From your name I'm guess what it may stand for. I'm am for many years. Cuts into my guitar collecting and playing though! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, Im sorry, but im not. I dont even remember why or how I got my screenname. I figure it stood for something when I made it, but i've since forgotten what! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I found the prices. That Wayne Green Meanie body is nice, but I can't drop $400 on a body. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I love the Green Meanie, but Im really using it for INSPIRATION. When I saide I wanted accuracy, I wanted it to more or less FEEL and LOOK like an old Charvel. Just the sort of "vibes" that the Green Meanie has: colorful, random dimarzios, scuffed up sloppy spraypaint finish (hey, I could go in cycles . . .green meanie one year, then spray it blue the next! hell, then maybe even pink! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Im real excited about this project. Thanks for the help. Any additional insight would be really appreciated.

Tbanks!

Comment

warmoth strat bodies are slightly different. strathead charvel necks vary alot in size, so there are no set specs, tho 2 1/8 heal is common. the problem with mixing C/J & wayne parts, with standard fender, different heal sizes which means shims or chisels/routing slightly

Comment

Working...
                          X