Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JE1200 related question: get rid of tone control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JE1200 related question: get rid of tone control?

I'd like to get rid of the tone pot on my Charvel model 4 and replace it with a volume control wired only to the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup's switch will be series/parralell/bypassed electronics (if possible) and as such will always be on, but could be turned off by its volume pot.
    Would the midboost system work the same without the tone control? Can I just take it off, redo the wiring without and replace the pot?

Re: JE1200 related question: get rid of tone control?

The pot is soldered to the board and is an intergal part of that circuit. Even if you did bypass the pot I would think it would make the circuit useless anyway. I'd get rid of the whole circuit/pot assy. and replace it with a standard 250/500K pot. I'm sure you could sell the mid boost circuit here.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thing is, I'd like to keep it to fatten up the Single Coils a bit, and shove it in the bridge pickup when I need to get that solo boost.

Comment

The tone control does appear to be seperate from the rest of the system... Midboost and volume are 50K, tone is 250. I should be able to just take it off the circuit?

Comment

Noone's done this...?

Comment

Yes, I have. And some of the active systems (especially the JE-1000) had tone as an option. Just remove it by unsoldering the pot from the connections, then tape them off so they don't touch anything else. No effect on the circuit, in fact, all the tone does is bleed off some of the upper frequencies anyway. Do you know how to wire the bridge for its own volume?
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Yeah I should be able to do that. Thanks a bunch! I think I prefer this new option that it brings.

Comment

Re: JE1200 related question: get rid of tone contr

[ QUOTE ]
                The pot is soldered to the board and is an intergal part of that circuit. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The VOLUME pot is integrated into the board..

Running a JE-1000 or JE-1200 w/o a tone control is no issue whatsoever. WIll work fine... just either remove the pot and tape off the wires, or unsolder the wires from the board if you want it as a permanent setup.

Comment

Re: JE1200 related question: get rid of tone contr

I ended up just taking it off [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The midboost will go with the model 1a and the FullShred.

Comment

Working...
                  X