Floyd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd question

I have an ESP horizon and i hate the trem on it, will this be a good replacment for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/CHROME-FASTLOAD-FLOY...1QQcmdZViewItem

and it is for this guitar

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-ESP-Horizon...1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Floyd question

I wouldn't go for that trem. Especially on that guitar. Your guitar will never stay in tune with that bridge. It doesn't lock at the bridge so everytime you use the bar the strings will slip.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I wouldn't go for that trem. Especially on that guitar. Your guitar will never stay in tune with that bridge. It doesn't lock at the bridge so everytime you use the bar the strings will slip.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying it would be better to go with a double locking then

Comment

Definately. Theres a guy that sells schaller-looking floyd knockoffs on ebay for like 39 bucks. He sells the whole deal with the springs and stuff for 59 but he sells just the trem alone once in a while for 39. Its one of those guys that lists tons of stuff. Ive been tempted to pick one up to see if its any good. This looks like a better one but its black.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-LICENSED-FLOYD...1QQcmdZViewItem

This might work also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Epiphone-Floy...1QQcmdZViewItem

I wouldnt want to skimp anyway on a nice guitar like that. Maybe a used OFR?

Comment

Siggy,

You picked up the pink princess huh? I was thinking of getting it for my wife for an aniversary present, but I'd probably end up with a red princess spearing me from front to back LOL!

Comment

I would definitely go for an OFR on such a nice guitar. The lowest stretch for me (personally) on any Floyded guitar would be a Schaller Floyd (a.k.a. FR2). I've had really bad experiences with cheap knock-offs, and since the bridge is a crucial component it makes sense to pay for the extra quality.

Comment

What don't you like about the stock ESP trem? I have a couple ESPs with this older style and have no issues with them. The cutout in the body for the trem is pretty close to the shape of the trem, and a Schaller floyd type may or may not fit into the cutout (and I'm pretty sure that an OFR, with the extended locking bolts, won't fit that cutout).

So what are the issues you have with the trem? Maybe we can offer help so you can keep the guitar intact and be happy with it.

Comment

it has this funky way of holding the strings in the trem, and for some reason if i go to tight it cuts it, if i go to loose it lets the string come out.

Comment

You're talking about those 'set-screws' in the saddles, right? I took all mine completely out and cleaned the holes up and the threads in the holes and on the set-screws with a toothbrush and some spray solvent (like brake cleaner or electric motor cleaner). You might find remenents of old little pieces of strings stuck in there causing your problem. Also, by taking the screw all the way out and looking in there, you can probably see how or where the string can go and better visualize how best to clamp the string in there.

You are supposed to cut the ball ends off the string (although I've received guitars from people where they just put the ball in the hole and clamped the set-screw on top of the ball, which actually worked by the way) and make sure you have the string long enough to kinda lay on the bottom of the hole so the set-screw can clamp on top of the string. I've never had a problem with the strings coming out on any of mine, and have never cut a string, and I clamp the set-screws very tight.

I'm at work now, but I have one of these trems I bought for spare parts at home that's not in a guitar, and I'll look closer at it tonight to see if I can offer more guidance.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    You're talking about those 'set-screws' in the saddles, right? I took all mine completely out and cleaned the holes up and the threads in the holes and on the set-screws with a toothbrush and some spray solvent (like brake cleaner or electric motor cleaner). You might find remenents of old little pieces of strings stuck in there causing your problem. Also, by taking the screw all the way out and looking in there, you can probably see how or where the string can go and better visualize how best to clamp the string in there.

You are supposed to cut the ball ends off the string (although I've received guitars from people where they just put the ball in the hole and clamped the set-screw on top of the ball, which actually worked by the way) and make sure you have the string long enough to kinda lay on the bottom of the hole so the set-screw can clamp on top of the string. I've never had a problem with the strings coming out on any of mine, and have never cut a string, and I clamp the set-screws very tight.

I'm at work now, but I have one of these trems I bought for spare parts at home that's not in a guitar, and I'll look closer at it tonight to see if I can offer more guidance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

Comment

How does that guitar look in person compared to the pics? In the pics it looks kinda pink but thats probably the camera flash. Is it more red looking in person?

Comment

it depends on the lighting, in low light it looks like you see, in bright light it looks more reddish. Great playing guitar, just the trem is driving me crazy, i am just gonna do some major cleaning on it tonight.

Comment

I had an ESP with that style trem before. There were little discs that went between the string and the screw. When you tighten the screw the string is pinched by the disc. Are they missing? They are hard to find, but I'll bet you can have Budman make some or even make some yourself.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I had an ESP with that style trem before. There were little discs that went between the string and the screw. When you tighten the screw the string is pinched by the disc. Are they missing? They are hard to find, but I'll bet you can have Budman make some or even make some yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet that is it, because all there is are the screws that clamp down.

Comment

OFR or Schaller ONLY. Don't fall for cheap PoS's Floyd knockoffs.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X