Jackson Finish Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Finish Question

I am restoring a 87 Jackson. I need to know what type of finish exactly was used on these guitars as I nee to fill in a kahler route and do some paint matching. I would liie to scuff the entire body and repray a top coat of clear. Dopes anyone know?

Re: Jackson Finish Question

bueller anyone bueller? bueller?

Comment

I would test it in a inconspicuous area with some lacquer thinner to see if you get any "melting". If you get melting you either have a Nitro or acrylic lacquer. I would suspect though it's a polyurethane finish or at least an acrylic lacquer. In any case, you can scuff with 400-600 grit wet sand paper, after wiping the guitar down with Prepsol or naptha. You can put Nitro over Poly, but not the reverse. If it's a polyurethane. You could use a catalyzed clear coat like PPG OMNI clear (2 part). For nitro clear, check out Bill at Reranch or use an instrument grade nitro clear like Behlens.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

While we're on the topic... I have a finish I did with stuff from reranch but the clear is not thick enough. I plan to redo it and this time spray some black over it with a template.

Am I correct in thinking that I can scuff it, mask off my template, spray the black, then spray a better coat of clear?

By the way, Bengal, you rock!!

Comment

I was trying to build up an area where the clear had chipped off a 1995, using super glue. The are was too big. The super glue did melt the finish. Is there a way to build up a chunk of clear?

Comment

Working...
          X