reducing string tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reducing string tension

ok, i dunno if it's possible but can the string tension on my DKMG be reduced without changing tuning or to a different gauge..im currently on 9-46's and my friend's ibanez rg1527 plays so much easier and smoother...with the same action and string gauge...could it be cuz of the 7-string neck?? or am i just imagining it? he said he plays around with the spring positions at the back tho. thanks.

Re: reducing string tension

Lowering the spring tension will lower the string tension. It will also cause more detuning when you bend strings. I prefer a real loose sloppy string tension but because I do alot of double stop bends I am forced to use alot of spring tension to keep the other strings in tune. I am sure you can find a good balance. Just play around with it.

Comment

What John said. [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] Personally, I prefer 4 or 5 springs on my Floyd, as I like the extra tension and stiffness it brings, makes it harder to press the bar down.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The material the strings are made of also makes a difference. Try a set of pure nickel (rather than nickel-wound steel) strings in the same gauge, they definitely feel softer. Ernie Ball and (IIRC) Fender make pure nickel strings.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

ohh ok..so it is possible...yeah i do use ernie balls..regular slinkies currently. ok so temme this..when i loosen the springs and then tune to E, wont the bridge fall back???

Comment

IIRC the regular slinkies are steel w/nickel windings. If you want softer feeling strings you want the classic slinkies that are 100% nickel (nickel w/nickel windings).
            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              when i loosen the springs and then tune to E, wont the bridge fall back???

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the trem bridge will actually pitch forward slightly more. There's less tension in the trem springs countering the tension in the strings.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Back off the trem claw screws 1/4 turn and retune. That really shouldn't effect the level of your bridge. Also, removing a spring and tightening the trem claw screws will also reduce your string tension. 9-46 gauge should have 3 springs. Straight across placement is the best. 1 on each end and 1 in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                X