Microphic vintage Super Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphic vintage Super Distortion

I just had a vintage Dimarzio Super Distortion installed in my customized model 7. The damn thing can pick up a human voice from 4' away! When I play, it has a 'doubling' sound to it. The guitar is also super noisy when it's plugged in and not being played. What could be wrong and how can it be fixed? If it cannot be fixed, any impressions on a new Duncan C5?

Re: Microphic vintage Super Distortion

Pot it to start with. Also, sometimes that happens in a metal pickgaurd.

Comment

That happened to my old super distortion as well, micrphonic and feedbacking as hell.
      I think wax potting should fix it, but be carefull, the plastic bobbins on mine melted.

Comment

here's a good tutorial on how to do it:

http://projectguitar.com/tut/dip.htm
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Awesome tutorial! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

But I figured - wouldn't it be easy to just tape up the front of the pickup before adding the rubber bands, so you wouldn't have to clean the wax off the front (but just pull the tape off)?

Comment

makes sense, i guess. in all honesty, when i've potted pickups, i don't let them sit in there that long; about 15-30 seconds each dunk. i've never had the tape come undone on me, but i dunno, maybe you're supposed to let them sit in there longer. the ones that i've done worked nicely.

sulliy
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The tutorial is great! I shall give it a shot in the future. For now, a different shop suggested that it needed rewinding. It sounds weaker than an Esquire p-up measuring 6.7. So, I went with the easiest substitute: a Duncan Distortion. An F spaced unit is on order, but I still haven't given up on the Super Distortion,

Comment

it should read 13.7 or there abouts so you're either reading only one coil or only one coil is working. If it is really really old, like mid 70's..it probably would have a two conductor. A Duncan Distortion will have a similar output to your SD prior to it going out.

Comment

A Duncan Distortion will have similar output, but will be a little brighter than the Dimarzio Super Distortion.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

and it'll sound better! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

No, the Dimarzio will sound better! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yer both nutz....an Invader sounds the best...
                        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Invaders sound like Rosanne Barr's flatulence. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Being a die hard invader fan I just had to input here! The invader is very loud and there's nothing bright about it. A very thick warm sounding pup with loads of gain would be my best description. I suck at descriptions though. I'll take an invader over the distortion or super distortion any day.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Being a die hard invader fan I just had to input here! The invader is very loud and there's nothing bright about it. A very thick warm sounding pup with loads of gain would be my best description. I suck at descriptions though. I'll take an invader over the distortion or super distortion any day.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I actually loved the Invader, too. I put two of them in my old Kelly XLR... they totally ripped, and didn't get muddy at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X