Replacing fret wire, average cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing fret wire, average cost?

Can anyone tell me what the normal cost is to re fret a 22 fret bolt on guitar? I am thinking of having my old ibanez refretted being the frets are really worn out, didnt know what is an average. I've called around to a few places with different results...

Re: Replacing fret wire, average cost?

175 - 250, i'd say.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, in Phoenix it goes around 300 for one of the good guys.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to make a call to a local guitar store(small store). They themselves didn't/don't do refret fretboard jobs. The guy/owner gave a personal number of his of a friend who did that stuff. I made the call and explained how I got the number, and chatted with for 10 minutes or so about guitars and the work I was calling for. $150.00 for a complete fret job. I made the right choice. He was a pleasure to do business with. He prefers to work out of his house. When I saw all his tools and self created and made tools he had, I knew I was in the right place. In that one visit, I learned more about the guitar than I knew beforehand. In that visit, I learned many things but at that time more importantly, some strings are harder on frets than others. Needless to say I changed from d-addarrio's to super slinky's(pink)9-42's and haven't looked back.

What does this mean?
        Seek out someone whose experienced and works out side of a guitar store affilation, it will be alittle cheaper. Scout them out if you have to, it will be worth it for you if you do. Ask for other previous clients/customers that you can phone and learn the type of work he do. Were they happy with his work? Questions like that.

When it comes to fret jobs I know nothing.
        I felt vulnurable because of that.
        I quess in some way I was lucky.
        Anyways, call around and scout out the right person.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I had a similar experience with a "basement luthier". Good guy, and good work. Unfortunately, I moved and so he's not available to me any more.

As for strings & fret wear, I say consider steel frets in the future. My neck with steel frets doesn't seem to wear at all...

Comment

I take 250, +50 for finished maple, + 50 for Binding, +350 if you have binding nibs and want to keep them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! Those prices seem to be what I am hearing around here....appreciate it!

Comment

You can buy fret wire real cheap. Why not DIY? I am going to try it on a beater neck. If it works that one time, then I can do it again. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                X