Whats so bad about Kahlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats so bad about Kahlers?

Why dont alot of people like Kahlers? Besides the fact that they are kind of ugly, any other reasons? I like the fact that weather pulling up or down on the bar, it doesent change the height of the strings. Could a Kahler Flyer replace a Floyd recessed, or would you have to angle the neck?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Whats so bad about Kahlers?

I love Kahlers, but I'm not an extreme dive bomber. I love the fact that a pullup or occasional dive won't note out cause I like my action really low. I think it looks really cool - not ugly at all!!!!!

Comment

Thats the problem Im having on my DKMG... when pulling up a good ways it will kill the note because the action is so damn low.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I personally love Kahlers.
        I first loved them when I had a USA Peavey Vandenberg (awesome axe..I miss it and would love to buy it back.. I think ManyAxes bought it from me) It had a Kahler that was very much like a Floyd Rose, but I felt it was cooler, sounded better and worked better. It was easier on the hand if I remember right. I think it was a Steeler? I'm probably wrong.

My KV1 BGF has a Kahler APM 3310 (fixed bridge) with a brass baseplate.
        It think combined with the locking LSR tuners, it stays in tune better than anything I have ever played. If it slips, if has nifty fine tuners that make life easy.

I think the tremolo versions are very nice as well..stayed in tune, smooth action.. easy on the hands and the strings don't change height.. and the best part is that you can palm mute to hell and back and it won't shift.

Some people think they rob some low end tone. I can't see how they would take the tone any more than a tunamatic or any fixed bridge that is not string thru. In fact, with the larger mass being directly mounted on the body, I think its quite substantial.

I swear by the 3310.

Comment

my kahler can beat your floyds ass! 3 o'clock at the flag pole wussy!
          1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

nothing wrong with Kahlers, they are just ugly that's all. bwhahahahahahah [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

FOng

Comment

1. Hard to get parts for.

2. All the most talented 80's guitar heros; ie: Lynch, EVH. DeMartini used non-recessed Floyd Roses.

3. The rollers are a pain in the ass (strings would hang up, etc.) and the trem arm was flimsy.

The steel ones are better than the brass ones. But they still are a very distant second to a correctly set up non-recessed Floyd Rose. If I can't have this Floyd setup, my next choices would be string thru or stop tail.

Its funny how in '85 Kahler switched to the heavier bar and springs to try and be more like Floyd Rose.

If you forced me to use a Kahler, this would be my setup preferences: stainless steel with soft springs, palm control arm, keep the system set up nice, keep the rollers oiled, etc. That would be the best setup for a Kahler. And I would only use it about half or less of the time I would use a Floyd.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  1. Hard to get parts for.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Seriously?? I´ve never had pparts issues... the internet is a great thing .... and Now they´re back in production, so parts shouldn´t be an issue for anyone much longer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                  2. All the most talented 80's guitar heros; ie: Lynch, EVH. DeMartini used non-recessed Floyd Roses.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  While true to an extent, I´m not sure what about that makes Kahler´s bad [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                  3. The rollers are a pain in the ass (strings would hang up, etc.) and the trem arm was flimsy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the early Arms being flimsy (Kahler changed the alloy later and they were significantly stronger), but the rollers is a maintenance issue, never had problems... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                  Its funny how in '85 Kahler switched to the heavier bar and springs to try and be more like Floyd Rose.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Actually, the heavier springs were originally intended for Bass Trems, and only after numerous players started switching them out did Kahler start offering a choice. The bar was simply an improvement...

Interestingly enough, the Original Floyd had no fine tuners, and version 2 still had no whale tail, and the collared arm also came later... but for some reason Floyd furthering/improving the trem design never gets mentioned in nearly the same negative context that Kahlers Bar problem gets mentioned...

Kahler or Floyd, Neither is IMO superior, but they are inherently different systems, understanding of one generally does you no good setting up the other... I think that´s actually the main problem.... After all, nobody complains that a Wilkinson or V-trem feels different from a Floyd, becasue it´s a different design... Sooooo, what exactly about the Kahler Flat-Mount is so special that people can´t accept that it holds true here as well?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    my kahler can beat your floyds ass! 3 o'clock at the flag pole wussy!

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Oh, it's on now!! Bring it, tough guy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And tell Travis to bring his Duncan Distortion so my DiMarzio Super Distortion can kick its ass, too! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like all whidlee bars. I have guitars with 6-screw v-trems, 2 post fulcrums, recessed and non-recessed Floyds, Kahlers, and a Bigsby. They are all cool. They can all be very musical. And they can all be kept in tune when setup and used properly. At the same time, I can get any of them to go out of tune through improper setup or usage beyond their design.

Wait, there is one trem I don't care much for. The Steinberger TransTrem. It was fine as a trem but once it was locked into a different tuning it was not usable - plus those notch thingees would wear out and the thing would slip off.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

That sums up my sentiments and situation perfectly :taost:

Comment

Kahlers are very finely engineered trems, much more so than a Floyd. Therefore, they require more maintenance and upkeep and often go to shit. Thus, people will criticize them. I think they are nifty, but I also like Floyds.

Either way, I am no Vai with the bar...sometimes I don't even thread the bar in.

Mike
                          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Dave M. is also guilty in spreading the rumor "Kahler is a tone sucking biatch".
                            But people say that only said this cause he did earn on every sold y2kV but not on the old KV1.

I like the idea of Kahler alot. Meaning "fixed-bridge-feeling" and ability of changing sound by changing parts.
                            But I have no experiance in tonal stuff...Kahler vs. Floyd. Which sounds better???

Comment

I don't like flush mount Kahlers at all. They just don't stay in tune. I've got OFR Floyd's, Peavey Lic Floyds, Fender Am Std. and vintage trems, and Bigsby's and they all stay in tune. I once had a Fender HM Strat with the Floyd like Kahler trem. That one stayed in tune.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X