help needed with casual modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed with casual modding

hi.. was just wondering if anyone here knows of any sites where i can get casual cosmetic mods like say, decals or stick on bindings and stuff like that?? thanks.

Re: help needed with casual modding

www.beldecal.com has tons of do-it-yourself items that you can do yourself with any paint program and a decent printer.

I got some of their waterslide decal paper and their rub-on transfer paper and it works very good. The rub-on stuff is a bit harder to work with, so definitely use small designs for that (no full-page items, but they don't have to be small like logos).

The waterslide stuff comes with either a white background or a clear background. You want the white background if you're putting something on a dark guitar body, and the clear if you want a light body.

Stick on binding - automotive pinstriping available at any auto parts store. If you want to do 5-layer Les Paul Custom-style binding (w/b/w/b/w) you'll hafta get creative with a razor blade (one wide strip of white with two narrow slits over a wide black strip, or cut thin strips of black to lay over the white by hand).

Put on a light clearcoat and it should stay in place.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

hey thanks! the binding idea sounds good. as for the decals...i may have used the wrong word by saying "decal", i meant stickers...anyone know of cool guitar sticker sites? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

www.ggstickers.com
        www.rockabilia.com
        give those a try.

Comment

Stickers leave a sticky residue when they are removed - IF they can be removed. Decals use a fine layer of glue that can easily be wiped off with a wet rag without harming the finish underneath.

You can clearcoat them before you apply them to the guitar (which I highly recommend, because as soon as they touch water, the ink starts to run). Pin the sheet to a big piece of cardboard or other backing to keep it straight and catch the overspray and lay down about 3 thin coats of Krylon Crystal Clear and wait about 4 or 5 hours.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            www.ggstickers.com

[/ QUOTE ]
            I got a free sample from them and put on my Dinky HX. Looks pretty cool, and they're supposed to remove pretty easily.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They remove VERY easily with a hair dryer to heat them up. They leave NO residue.

Comment

Working...
              X