Some String Thru Set Up Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some String Thru Set Up Questions

Hey guys, I have 2 issues that are bugging me. I hope my questions aren't too dumb, but I can't seem to find any info on the 'net on these topics. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

I'm re-stringing my KVX10. It's string-thru with the JT390 adjustable bridge. After I took off the strings (the ones I had put the shop put on when I bought it), I noticed that the bridge height adjustment thumb wheels are really easy to turn. Are they supposed to be? When I take the bridge off the bridge posts seem quite loose. Obviously, when the guitar is strung the tension of the strings will hold the bridge down, but just how loose should these be? On a floyd you don't want these to wiggle around at all, so what about this type of bridge?

On to the tuners for my other question - I was wondering how loose should the string posts on the tuners be? If I wiggle them with the strings off, should they have some give or should they be firm and not move at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Some String Thru Set Up Questions

Yes.

Yes, thumb wheels are designed to turn (hence "wheels")

That is how it supposed to be.

The bridge works the way it supposed to. This is not a Floyd.

There is a screw on the tuners that controls how tight they are. Adjust it to the way you like. Firmer would probably be better to keep the guitar in tune. But you don't want to take it too far. I've never changed from what the factory setting was.

If you don't like the way your bridge works and you won't be able to sleep at night, go spend money on a TonePro's bridge (or drill, tap and die yours). It's the same bridge you are holding with a couple of set screws that clamp down on the post so that it can't move, and even if you accidentally turn the thumb screws the bridge will still be in the correct position.

But, I'll tell you this. You bridge is the same bridge used on $268,000 Les Pauls. If it works ok on those guitars, shouldn't it be ok on your guitar?

Comment

Re: Some String Thru Set Up Questions

[ QUOTE ]
      Hey guys, I have 2 issues that are bugging me. I hope my questions aren't too dumb, but I can't seem to find any info on the 'net on these topics. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

I'm re-stringing my KVX10. It's string-thru with the JT390 adjustable bridge. After I took off the strings (the ones I had put the shop put on when I bought it), I noticed that the bridge height adjustment thumb wheels are really easy to turn. Are they supposed to be? When I take the bridge off the bridge posts seem quite loose. Obviously, when the guitar is strung the tension of the strings will hold the bridge down, but just how loose should these be? On a floyd you don't want these to wiggle around at all, so what about this type of bridge?

[/ QUOTE ]

no worries, and don't feel bad, it's not a stupid question at all. as donP mentioned, yeah, those wheels will turn easily when the strings are off. they're much harder to turn under string tension. don't worry about that at all. just remember that if you knock them when the strings are off, you may have to adjust it a little bit when you string it back up. no worries.

as far as the wiggling part, get yourself some teflon tape and wrap the post's threads a few times, then screw them back into the bushings. if you have enough on there, it'll make them nice and solid. you may also notice a slight sustain increase; i did!

[ QUOTE ]
      On to the tuners for my other question - I was wondering how loose should the string posts on the tuners be? If I wiggle them with the strings off, should they have some give or should they be firm and not move at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can tighten the nut around the tuning shaft a little bit, but don't go much past finger tight; if you tighten them too much, you'll raise the clear coat around the tuner holes, and they'll bubble up.

hope that helps,
      sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
      X