Bad 1/4 jack..... how to fix/clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad 1/4 jack..... how to fix/clean

I have a bad 1/4 jack on my Ibanez. BUT, its one of those sealed dealies, and not a regular one that is farirly easy to fix. Im not sure whats wrong, but it cuts out randomly and I resoldered everything in the cavity. Once those sealed ones are pooched, can they be cleaned/fixed, or are you better off buying something new. I went to Radio shack, but they dont carry ANY jacks that would work in the guitar. Curious if anyone knwos any good tips to fix/clean one of these jacks!

Re: Bad 1/4 jack..... how to fix/clean

I always just replace them. There is a fairly good selection on ebay to choose from. But, Ive always wondered if there was an effective way to clean them as opposed to just replacing them.

Comment

Re: Bad 1/4 jack..... how to fix/clean

A lot of times the contact points on the jack, where they contact the sleeve of the input jack become oxidized, and can short out causing crackling. I've had luck with using Brasso to take off the oxidized parts in the jack by placing some on a Q-tip and rubbing the contact areas. Then I wrap some cloth on the Q-tip and do the same thing to polish it. this might work for you too.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
      X