Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Determining nutsize without taking it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining nutsize without taking it off?

I'm getting ready to do some preparing for a custom order very soon.

Like at a store/shop pull a guitar off the shelf and determine the size of the nut, without having a tech remove the strings and nut? Granted, usually when playing, you can feel the width of the neck and determine its a smaller nut size because of the width of the neck.

However, when getting into the size difference between a 11 1/16ths and a 1 3/4's, the ability to "feel" the difference would seem difficult since there are close in size.
    Would there be a way to determine the difference between a 11 1/16ths and a 1 3/4's based on feel or something?
    Is there any "feel" difference between the two, or is it mainly the distance of strings from each other that matter most between the two since the size is close already?

I have a lynch model the has a 1 3/4 size, so I know what this width feels like, but I don't have any other guitars that are 11 1/16ths.
    Thanks.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Re: Determining nutsize without taking it off?

Bring a ruler...?
    Or, am I missing the point?

Comment

I could bring a ruler with me and no I didn't think of that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] How about the the "feel" difference? Is there much difference between the two as far as "feel" goes?
      Going from playing a 1 3/4's to 1 5/8(or vice versa)theres an obvious "feel" difference, pretty big difference actually.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

It's a pretty big difference. I love 1 5/8, can get by fine on 1 11/16, cannot get with 1 3/4.

Comment

Thanks Chuck.

Comment

You should NEVER have to remove a nut to tell its width. Any decent ruler can give the measurement you need. And they say the Japs are ahead of us... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I know, I had a big brain fart, I admit it was a pretty big one at that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Now, what I'm trying to get answered is there a big feel difference between the 11 1/16ths and 1 3/4's? I'm aware of the big feel difference between the 1 5/8's and 11 1/16ths.

Comment

well, either way, it's 1/16th of an inch. if you feel a big difference between 1 5/8 to 1 11/16, it'd stand to reason that you'd notice a big difference between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4. i'm with chuck; 1 5/8 is great. 11/16 is okay, but anything more wouldn't be something i'd seek out.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Got ya guys.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Hmm, I really can't feel much of a difference between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16". Though, I do seem to prefer 1 11/16". Can't recall if I've ever played 1 /34".
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I recall someone having a link to a website that gave the sizes for L3/L4. It' be cool to have that link again.

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com
                      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

There's not much a difference when going from 1-11/16" to 1-3/4". But 1-5/8" - 1-3/4" there is. I have all three and when I'm playing a 1-5/8" for awhile and switch to a 1-3/4", I have to do a physical and mental shift straightaway or I will be fumbling for notes.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I recall someone having a link to a website that gave the sizes for L3/L4. It' be cool to have that link again.

joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean the floyd nuts? they're both 1 11/16, it's just that the 4 has a wider string spacing and is intended for bound necks.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I have a ESP/LTD M1 Tiger that has a 1 3/4 nut width but has a much narrower floyd nut. I believe it is the same size that belongs on a 1 11/16
                            size neck. I have read previous post where people would complain that this was a build mistake. However this is not the case, this is allows for plenty of space on eaither side of the fingerboard so the strings do not slip off while in shred mode and also keeps the string spacing a bit narrower. I love it find it to be the perfect size. My new Custom charvel will come this way.

Comment

Working...
                            X