Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tuners

Hi all,

I have a SL2HT that I bought new a few months ago and to be honest the tuners on this thing blow chunks. Are there any really good high ratio tuners that will bolt in or not leave any holes in the head? They don't need to be locking just high ratio.

I can't believe for the price of this guitar that Jackson installs such crappy tuners. Do they use the same junk on their custom shop stuff? Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar other then that.

Re: Replacement tuners

Sorry guy's, did mean sound so pissed. These thing are loose, maybe a bad batch, who knows. I would of gladly paid a few hundred dollars more for a perfect guitar. I don't see to many posts of people complaining about their's so I will assume these are defective.

Anyways anything out there that will fit this thing without serious mods?

Comment

Well Jackson uses stock Gotohs, schaller replica, you can find them after market, they're cheap and good quality...
      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
      '92 Fender Strat scallop
      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Have ya got a part number, I don't want to order the wrong ones.

Comment

You know, my favorites are Sperzels for HT's, but that will leave the holes since the Sperzels do not mount with screws. I just ordered a set of Planet Wave locking tuners. They mount in the similar fashion as the Gotoh/Schaller's. I'll have to see if they line up with the holes. That might be an option for you, is to go to a locking tuner.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

you say that they're loose, please explain further. those gotoh's that they use are a 14:1 or 16:1 ratio, iirc. neither of which would be considered craptacular. you may just need to tighten the little screw that you can see on the side of the tuning knob.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              you say that they're loose, please explain further. those gotoh's that they use are a 14:1 or 16:1 ratio, iirc. neither of which would be considered craptacular. you may just need to tighten the little screw that you can see on the side of the tuning knob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully is correct. I thought of this before I started typing, but it didn't come out. Thanks Sully for reading my mind! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I mean when I turn the knob the string does not move for about an 1/16 of a turn, very annoying.

Right now I have another problem with the guitar. I just got back from dropping my daughters js Kelly off at my tech. He looked at my new soloist and said(and showed me) there was a hump on the bass side of the neck and that I should send it in for warranty. He said it was fixable and he would do it but would have to charge me

How is Jackson to deal with on warranty stuff?

Comment

Well from personal experience with Jackson Charvel, it took 2 months to put a new neck on my PC1 because the original was defective.
                  Where is the hump? Is it a raised fret or something to do with the wood itself? If it's just a hump that could be adjusted by the truss rod, or fret level, I would have the tech do it, pay for it, instead of waiting 2-3 months to get your guitar back from JC, not to mention some of the horror stories I've heard on shipping. If it's something like a warped neck I would send it back and plan on waiting awhile.

Comment

you should be able to have it fixed at a authorized service center. you may not have to send it to jackson directly. i'd check into that first. can't help ya on what you consider a tuner problem though; that wouldn't bother me. hell, i probably wouldn't even think about it. sounds like you may want some LSRs or something like that; as mentioned, those gotoh OEM tuners are pretty much industry standard.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

My tech, Pat Woodward, suggested the grover 18:1 locking tuners or the schallers. It does go out of tune easily and very annoying.

The hump is by the 2nd and 3rd fret and causes a slight buzz. I've looked up the repair facility here in Vegas, I've heard of the guy but don't anything about him(John Taggart). I will check with my tech and see if he knows what kind of work he does.

While were on the subject of modification, should I replace the bridge with a locking tone-pro, and Pat suggested a Corian nut that he would custom make.

Comment

i've only got one set of schallers, and the screw hole won't line up with what you've got now. not 100% sure how old these ones i have are, so they may be offering something that will drop right in now. i'm sure that many would suggest a tone pros and a corian nut; how does it sound as it is now? not sure if it will make a night and day difference, but your mileage may vary.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X