Building a Guitar Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Guitar Case

OK, I'm on a quest. I mentioned in another thread, that I bought a Danelectro Doubleneck guitar. Since there's a slim chance of me finding a guitar case for this thing, I'm gonna build one.

Calling all JCF members who have had any experience building one, or know of resources I can use along the way. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

This sounds like it can be a fun project. I haven't seen anything yet on this site regarding case building, though I've seen everything else from modifications to rebuilding guitars.

I have a Strat case as a template, in at least the material aspect of building one and the inside form of it, though a doubleneck will be a bit of a challenge.

Any good sites out there, or anyone thats has built one. I'd appreciate it....hell, I'll name the case after you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Building a Guitar Case

Y'know you may be onto something there; build yourself a few cases, then when you get really good at it, do some artsy-fartsy "show" cases with natural, oiled woods and shiny brass hardware like Chuckracer's new geetar tech cabinet, plush interiors, leather trim/handle.

And of course make some El Cheapo cases to pay the bills [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Imagine the possibilities [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You know Newc, you may have something there! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
      Get one of these things under my belt, then start branching out.

I can see it now........'DonF's Mahogany Mod 6 Cases'............aaaah.........yes. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

or........'DonF's KV Koa Kase'.......an instant winner! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This might work!.........nah.......I ain't got the time, but seriously, I'm sure if someone had the time, got a few under his belt, he could pump them out with relative ease.

I'm gonna see how this one shapes up. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] then continue from there. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

One caveat: weight. I built a case out of plywood when I was a teenager. It looked okay and protected the guitar fine, but it was heavy as hell.

Comment

Keep looking for a case. One will turn up. Your doubleneck Dano isn't that huge. Get an old Rhoads case!

Comment

This sounds like a GREAT idea!
            Good luck with your project and please keep us all posted.
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Get an old Rhoads case!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll get one for now, for protection. Any specific case?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                One caveat: weight. I built a case out of plywood when I was a teenager. It looked okay and protected the guitar fine, but it was heavy as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! 2x4's are out of the question then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Aa thin plywood may be one solution. Maybe even something a little lighter than that.

Comment

It won't sound good if yoy make it out of plywood or 2x4's.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    It won't sound good if yoy make it out of plywood or 2x4's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ok,.....I'll probably play the guitar more than I will the case. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thought you may be interested in this ...

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/in...opic=18734&hl=

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for posting that. That'll help a lot. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Use pressed wood...that stuff that's brown and shiny on one side. It sounds like it won't protect very well, but once it's supported by wood on all 4 sides and then covered with tolex, carpeting, etc, it's pretty sturdy. Years ago, long beforte the Coffin Case compnay, I made a bunch of guitar cases in the coffin shape, but with the old beveled tops. I used 1/4" plywood at first, and they were heavy as all hell. (no pun intended [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) When I switched over to that thin pressed wood, they turned out fine as far as protection goes, and weighed about the same as a normal case.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Use pressed wood...that stuff that's brown and shiny on one side. It sounds like it won't protect very well, but once it's supported by wood on all 4 sides and then covered with tolex, carpeting, etc, it's pretty sturdy. Years ago, long beforte the Coffin Case compnay, I made a bunch of guitar cases in the coffin shape, but with the old beveled tops. I used 1/4" plywood at first, and they were heavy as all hell. (no pun intended ) When I switched over to that thin pressed wood, they turned out fine as far as protection goes, and weighed about the same as a normal case

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. I realized that a guitar that size is gonna require a case larger than normal, so one of my goals is to make it light weight as possible.

I wanta protect it but not fortify it, so the lighter the better. I'll do substituting where needed...Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Proper design can generally compensate for a given material's density (or lack thereof).
                              Consider that an eggshell is one of the most fragile materials you'll ever encounter, yet it's difficult to squeeze an egg unto collapse by applying pressure to the ends as compared to squeezing it from the sides.

Proper bracing of a case's top and back could provide the stability you need using even the lightest/thinnest of materials.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X