Evaluating used guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluating used guitars

I saw a Model 6 at my local GC. It's a bit rough around the edges and overpriced as sin. I don't know if I'm expert enough to evaluate its playing condition.

What do you experts look for when you're trying to decide if an old guitar is in good enough shape to meet your demands? Any particular warning signs?

Re: Evaluating used guitars

Being that it's a neckthrough guitar, go over the condition of the neck, frets & fretboard very carefully. If the trussrod needs a tweak, no biggie, but make sure there are no major issues like a twist. Some fretwear is to be expected, but be wary of deep grooves, rough frets, frets that have become unseated, really bad buzz, etc. Not cheap to get a refret on a bound neckthrough. If it has the JT-6 trem, it can easily be replaced w/ an OFR (highly recommended), but if it's an '86 with the Kahler, make sure the trem is in good shape. See if the midboost circuit is in good working order if it still has it installed & pay attention for scratchiness or noise when working the volume pot. The circuit board for the midboost is attached to the volume pot & it can be a bit of a pain to deal with if it needs to be replaced. I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff, but I hope this may help some. Good luck! Haggle with those bastards & don't take any guff! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Evaluating used guitars

[ QUOTE ]
      Good luck! Haggle with those bastards & don't take any guff! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
      X