I want to start painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start painting

I have been wanting to start painting guitar bodies for fun. I have done the spray bomb deals before and they come out nice.

I want to get a compressor and a couple decent quality guns. One for the base and clear and a detail gun for panel lines and tiny shit.

Ideally, I'd like to get started for $500 or less. I looked at some of the guns on ebay, but to be honest, I don't know a decent quality gun from pure crap. That is where I need all of your help.

Does anyone sell a complete kit or starter pack with compressor and all?

Now, go ahead and bombard me with all kinds of answers that will confuse the hell outta me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[edit] I have used spray guns before, but it was about 10 years ago.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Re: I want to start painting

Badger makes a few nice kits.
    Available in Stewart Macdonalds.

Comment

Paasche is one of the industry standards, been around forever so parts are easy to find, and they are very affordable.
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I use Paasche personally. The Badgers are REAL nice, the only reason I dont use one is because the bodies are smaller and my hand gets tired...the Paasche has a bigger body and is more comfy to me.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Sears makes a 1.5 HP, 2 gallon tank compressor. I bought mine on sale for $99. Great compressor. In the past, I have used my 50 Gallon 10 HP compressor (mostly used to paint cars and run air tools. This little one (1.5Hp) works fine for painting guitar bodies and necks. The tank is needed to push the cfm you'll need for running the larger gun. It comes with most of all the fittings you will need to hook up to a gun. It will run the larger guns as well as the airbrushes.
          Paint guns:
          Big names Binks and Devilbiss. (You don't necessarily need these pro guns) Generic quality small "gravity feed" guns or suction "touchup" guns can be had for $30-$70 from places like Harbor Freight and Stew Mac. Airbrushes for graphics and detail painting as mentioned above; Badgers and Passche.
          If your going to be painting entire surfaces of the guitar, I would recommend the gravity feed 1/2 pt. to 1 pt. gun. A good filter is a must. I use a coventional one at the compressor and a inline filter just before the gun. The airbrushes can be had at art supply houses and Eastwood. I would definitely recommend an Eastwood catalog www.eastwoodco.com. You should be able to get everything within you budget.
          The next thing you will have to consider is a spray booth and the type of paint you will be spraying, That's another subject. If you're spraying Nitro lacquer or Urethanes you'll defintely want good ventilation. A vapor/chemical mask is a must. Also, paper paint coveralls as a minimum should be used with these paints keeping safety in mind.
          Also, as previously mentioned Stew Mac has some great info in Dan Erlewine's books and videos on painting. He's got a lot of good tips and you've never been painting long enough to pick up a few good tricks.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I'll look into the Paasch and Badger detail guns and the Devilblis big gun. The Sears compressor sounds right up my ally.

OK, here's a stupid question. If I plan to do this in my basement, which is like a dungeon (unfinished), can I put a big exhaust fan in the window and that would be enough? Ideally, I could get my brother to put up a pseudo rigged paintbooth(crude). Is there a danger of fire or explosion from the hot water heater and furnace?
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Scott, do you have a will? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

If not, put me down for one of your Rhoads [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Scott, do you have a will? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

If not, put me down for one of your Rhoads [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] ............ [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Which one? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                Scott

Comment

It will work and your Will does not have to be up to date. I've done this before. You can purchase a "stove" overhead kitchen exhaust hood from Home Depot, Lowes, or similar ($75-100) (one that has a fitting on top for ventilating). These have explosion proof fan motors, since they have to deal with cooking and grease fumes. These also have filters that work well with paint dust and are washable. You can mount this at the window and use an 8" or a size that mates to the top of the fan hood diameter metal "dryer" duct hose to go to the enclosure. These are also available at the home supply stores. A inexpensive booth can be built using 1" X 4" lumber and heavy drop cloth type plastic sheeting. The 1 X 4's can be made up into a frame and the sheeting stapled to the frame. You can get fancy a make a door to this enclosure. My most recent enclosure is made this way. It is so efficent I use this in my living room and vents to a window nearby! I do this because it is so humid here in the summer. Humidity and Nitro lacquer to not mix.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have a autobody spray booth in my unfinished basement...
                    I have a coil-less exhaust fan (VERY IMPORTANT TO GET ONE MADE FOR FLAMABLES!)

I have a makeshift spray booth consisting of tarp like plastic (like the pastic on commercial freezer doors, only solid instead of slits.)

Its nailed into the sealing.

Works great.

Comment

here's a site with some decent pricing on guns and stuff.

http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts...sdepotgate.bbx

personally, i hate painting guitars, but that's me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        personally, i hate painting guitars, but that's me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I've pretty much have slowed up these days doing all the painting too. Ha Ha-when I lived up north I had a basement. It worked great. Now down yonder, there are no basements so I paint in the living room! Air conditioned! When the comment is made, what are you doing painting guitars in the living room. I say, "no those are not guitars they are furniture". The wife say's, "those are not furniture, those are guitars".
                        Then I say, "yes that is furniture, don't you see them strewn about the house and not played sitting on stands. They are furniture!". The wife say's, "Ok, I know something else is not played with ethier. Ok, they are furniture". Then I go about my painting [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Where the hell is Newc LOL! This subject is right up his alley.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Where the hell is Newc LOL! This subject is right up his alley.

[/ QUOTE ] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Scott

Comment

Well, here at Newc-N-Ghoul Guitars Works (NNG Limited)
                              We like to avoid all the trouble and expense of a spray gun and all of that shit.

We prep it, and paint it and clear coat it with Krylon.
                              We feel that the trick is in the curing and using the right clear coat.

We pass these savings onto our customers.

-Newc's Secretary

Comment

Working...
                              X