Truss rod adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod adjustment

Hey guys I'm dropping the string tension quite a bit on the guitar that just got here--
    I usually tune into full D with 10-46 strings, I just put new strings of that gauge on to discover that the strings on it were already 10-46 but tuned in standard... (I thought the tension was a bit higher than I was expecting.. but I thought the strings on it would be 9s to begin with)

The tension might be a bit lower than I'm used to making this jump, but I'm ok with that.

What truss rod adjustment will I need to make when dropping a full step?

Re: Truss rod adjustment

Hmmm... I may switch to 11-50 on this.
    I didn't really want to have something going where I was using different gauges on different axes, but 10-46 is a little too loose in my tuning...

Edit: By the way, the reason for this is the short scale on this.
    On a 25.5, 10-46 in full D is just right.. on 24.75 it's a bit of a different ballgame.

Comment

After you've changed the strings, tuned it up and let it sit for a bit, you will see how much you need to tweak the neck (if any).

Comment

I don't really know how to eyeball it... I've tried but when I do it, I can't really decide whether it's flat or bowed or what [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
        I'll give it a shot though. Thanks man [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

depress the low e string on the first and last frets, and there should be a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny bit of room in the middle of the fretboard, between the string and the top of the frets in the middle. thats when your neck (or my necks) is just right

i mean, if you cant tell the difference, then its probably fine the way it is. alot of necks are really strong and dont move much. my friend has a gibson that he goes from 10's to 13's sometimes and never needs to adjust the neck.

Comment

This neck (fusion) is pretty thin so it might need help.

As for the string gauge, 10-46 in D is WAY too loose...
            10-46 in E is a tad too light.
            So I went to the point in the middle- E-flat!

My other guitar is 10-46, CGCFAD on 25.5 scale.. so the tunings are a half step apart but that's no big deal. I think this will work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By the way, by depressing the low E on the first and last frets as you said, I have a bit of room between the string and the frets-- about half the thickness of the string. So I'll leave it alone for a while, let it settle, and double check late tonight or tomorrow morning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X