Guitar static noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar static noise

I'm having a few noise problems with both of my guitars, a Jackson RR-59 (import model) and an Ibanez 470.
    The guitars seem to generate quite a bit of static noise whenever they're plugged in. However, that noise reduces quite a lot as soon as I touch any of the knobs (volume or tone) which leads me to believe that it might be some current leek.
    Also, the volume knob produces an EXTREME amount of noise whenever it's located on the middle positions (i.e. not fully open or closed).

Is there any way to solve these problems?

Re: Guitar static noise

Sounds like you got some dirty pots and possibly a ground wire that may have become disconnected.
    Check all the wiring, solder joints, etc.
    As for the volume and tone pots, you can try cleaning them, or just install a new set.
    -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Sounds like you got some dirty pots and possibly a ground wire that may have become disconnected.
      Check all the wiring, solder joints, etc.
      As for the volume and tone pots, you can try cleaning them, or just install a new set.

[/ QUOTE ]
      Thanks! The odd thing is that I have the same problem on both of my guitars.
      I'll take a look at the electronics cavity and see if I can find anything.

Comment

Check your guitar cable too... swap it out with another one to rule it out.
        -Rick

Comment

Update!

The noise decreases whenever I touch ANY of the guitars' metalic parts (floyd, strings, etc).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Check your guitar cable too... swap it out with another one to rule it out.

[/ QUOTE ]I'll try out another cable soon even though it doesn't seem to be a cable problem. The guitar doesn't make any noise at all when the cable is plugged in and the tone knob is completely closed.

Comment

Definately sounds like you lost a ground wire.
              -Rick

Comment

Yup, sounds like a grounding issue.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Definately sounds like you lost a ground wire.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  Yup, sounds like a grounding issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Hmm, I couldn't really find any loose wire. Then again, the cavity in my ibanez is a fucking mess, whoever did that wiring job should be forced to listen to celine dion for the rest of his life! The one on my jackson is a lot easier to understand.

Still, this noise only becomes noticeable with heavy distortion/gain. Could it be caused by bad isolation?

As for the intense noise when I have my volume-pot half-open, what's the cause for that? Dirty pots?

Thanks!

Comment

The volume pot issue can be anything from a dirty pot to one that is just plain worn out.
                    The things don't last forever ya know. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    As for the grounding issue, remove the trem cover plate as well and make sure the ground wire didn't come off there either. Replacing the volume and/or tone pot may also solve the grounding issue.

Not sure if you're familiar with using a multi-meter, but if you are, start from the input jack and trace each lead back and look for any breaks in signal or significant changes in resistance. What may appear to the eyes as good may in fact be a loose solder joint or worn contact point.
                    -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      The volume pot issue can be anything from a dirty pot to one that is just plain worn out.
                      The things don't last forever ya know. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      As for the grounding issue, remove the trem cover plate as well and make sure the ground wire didn't come off there either. Replacing the volume and/or tone pot may also solve the grounding issue.

[/ QUOTE ]No need to remove it since I never put the trem cover plate on. Anyway, the wire is still connected (on both guitars). I can't seem to find anything wrong with electronics (except for the mess of wires in the ibanez).

[ QUOTE ]
                      Not sure if you're familiar with using a multi-meter, but if you are, start from the input jack and trace each lead back and look for any breaks in signal or significant changes in resistance. What may appear to the eyes as good may in fact be a loose solder joint or worn contact point.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I have used a multi-meter before. I don't have one at home though. :/

Comment

Working...
                      X