Extending pickup wires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending pickup wires...

To my surprise, the previous dunce owner cut the wires down inside one of my mutts to less than an inch on the bridge pickup. They are older EMGs with the wires coming out of them. Are there any precautions I should take when soldering new wire to them to extend them..any particular wire or gauge recommendations?

thanks,

rich

Re: Extending pickup wires...

Ouch! I just hate it when people do that. [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

You can use pretty thin wire if you wish. I prefer to use about the same gauge as the "hot" lead from the pickup.

Btw, get some heat-shrink tubing to isolate the solder joints when you're done. It's a lot nicer than electrical tape (which turns gooey and falls off with time).

Comment

+1 for the heatsink.

I've had to do this a few times because of people who don't know how to properly maintain a damn guitar. Always clipping wires too short, never changing strings, never adjusting trem springs, the list goes on.

But any copper wire of the same thickness will do the trick, just make sure you get a few different colors for the different wires or you'll have fun trying to install it.

Comment

Awesome.. thanks! pickup looks ridiculous with the stub sticking out.

rich

Comment

since they are EMGs, you can just buy a new quick connect ans resolder. That would probably result in a higher quality sound than soldering and warpping an extension wire.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            since they are EMGs, you can just buy a new quick connect ans resolder. That would probably result in a higher quality sound than soldering and warpping an extension wire.

[/ QUOTE ]
            No can do. If you read his first post carefully you'll see that it was an older EMG without the quick connect system.

Comment

Working...
            X