One question about Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One question about Floyd Rose

Uh...one thing is not clear to me. I have guitar with floyd rose and wood is cut out so it can go up and down (to sharp and flat note). But on many guitars there's no cut out so it can only go up (to flat note)? Like on this pic:

There isn't hole on that one, but there is on this (like on mine):

I am I right? It can go just up? I saw that on many guitars. If you put floyd rose, why make it only go up?

If its dumb question, i'm sorry, it just isn't clear to me...

Re: One question about Floyd Rose

Just a preference thing really. Some people like the look of a non-recessed floyd more than a recessed and vice versa.

Comment

I am thinking about buying Charvel, and I saw that most of them have "recessed" floyd. I don't like that. I would rather have guitar without tremolo, than tremolo that only can go flat (cuz I know how floyd rose can be pain in the ass).

Are there any advantages of recessed FR (I mean you loose half of its function, what do you gain, except looks)?

Comment

Just to clear things up.

Recessed Floyd= full range up or down

Non recessed Floyd= full dive bomb, limited (if any)pull up ability.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Isn't that a D-Tuna on there as well? You won't be able to pull up with one of them.
          http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

On a non-recessed Floyd with a D-Tuna, you can pull up a bit.
            You also run the risk of trashing the finish on your guitar as well.
            I don't think you can install a D-Tuna on a recessed Floyd.
            -Rick

Comment

I have a 1988 Jackson Dinky where it does not have the recessed floyd area and I can pull up near a 5th. So I would also think that it is how the trem is setup as well.

Comment

Boris: The non-recessed Floyd does not sit flat against the body. You can still pull up with it. It is "top-mounted", so it doesn't need the route. The recessed trem sits lower in the guitar, so it must have the route to function properly.

The biggest difference (to me) with recessed vs non-recessed, is that the non-recessed trem sits higher off the body, and the guitar has a bit of neck angle - similarly to a Les Paul. This config is much more comfortable for me to play - and I think it looks a lot better to boot.

Comment

Thanks guys, you cleared me some things. So my guitar has recessed floyd. I thought that you can only dive bomb with non-recessed, now I see it can also go up. I love to make those harmonics SCREAM. It is OK now for me to look for some Charvel.

Cheers!

Comment

Usually if a guitar was made with the non-recessed Floyd in the design (like a Shannon Soloist, etc) the neck is angled backwards to compensate for the Floyd being higher than a standard vintage tremolo or even a tuneomatic bridge and still be able to move in both directions.
                    For bolt-on guitars that were originally vintage trems but converted to Floyds, shimming the end of the neck heel will tilt the neck backwards enough to allow full range of motion in both directions, but a neckthrough must either be designed for the Floyd initially or if it's added later, the Floyd will be too high. So it will have to be recessed.

For a recessed Floyd, the major benefit is that the neck is not tilted back as far as a non-recessed guitar, which means cases can be thinner, and there's less risk of serious damage during shipment.
                    As well, if you break a string on a non-recessed guitar, the trem will slam into the finish, whereas a recessed Floyd will slam into the padded recess.

The major difference between the two is that non-recessed trems allow for a completely different pick-attack angle. This is better for some, and not better for others, so you'll hafta decide which one is your own "better".
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X