Guitar Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Wiring Question

Hello. I need help with a guitar wiring problem that I ran into last night. I was installing a JE1200 in my soloist and after double checking that it was wired up correctly, I went to try it out and it was D.O.A. So after unsoldering all my connections and redoing it all over again, it was still DEAD!! I even had one of my other Dinky's with the JE1200 open so I could make sure it wired exactly the same.

I'm not sure what made me do it, but I left it hooked up and just had the guts (pots & jack) just laying out on the table next to the guitar and then it worked.

But when I try and mount it to the guitar, which has the copper metal sheilding to ground everything, it goes DEAD!

What would be causing that? I didn't have this problem when it originally had the JE1000 in it.

[img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] All I want to do is JAM! Is that toooooo much to ask?!?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Thanks, Dave

Re: Guitar Wiring Question

It sounds like a short may be occurring (possibly across the shielding?) when you mount it in the cavity. Is the circuit board clear of the shielding or any exposed wire that might arc across contacts on the board? Even a wire that's stripped back just a bit too much could lay over on an exposed part of the board or short to the shielding. Sometimes weird things happen when you have to stuff all those wires in a tight space.

Comment

Right, you're most likely grounding it to the shield. Sometimes the JE-1000 is higher off the holes than the JE-1200. Take some electrical tape and tape the shielding or better yet, remove the dumb shielding and assign a common ground to the volume pot or tremolo screw.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll give that a try. Sounds like you two are right on the money. I spoke to our very own Budman68 and a local guy here in Seattle and the common theme was grounding short.

Comment

Working...
        X