Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega-bad ground/hum!

Hey folks,
    Not sure if this is exactly where to put this...maybe in the Amps & Effects section...?

Anyhoo, I was playing with my band Saturday night at a nice local club, and the grounding problem in there was unbelieveable. I've been playing clubs for more years than I care to admit, [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] so I've run into this a million times, and I tried all the usual things: Turning off any neon, making sure the lights, PA, and amps were on seperate circuits, etc. That all got the hum down from "unbearable" to just "annoying", and we played the show. It seemed to get especially bad when we ran our DI's into the PA, so we wound up jus runing amp volume from the stage (yikes) and just vocals through the PA. So afterwards I wound up talking to a drunk there who claimed to be an electrician. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] His advice was that I could buy power strips that had a ground lift in them...that way when/if I run into the issue again, just hit the ground lifts on the power strips, and if it didn't totally stop the problem, it would at least get it down to reasonable levels. But as of yet, I've been totally unable to find a power strip anywhere that has a ground lift. Anyone ever heard of this? Or is it something I'm going to have to have custom built?

Re: Mega-bad ground/hum!

Just a note: We used to play this one club here in Jersey. The hum was unreal. I traced it down to the dimmers on the lights in the other room. When the back bartender dimmed the lights for the customers, the hum went off the charts.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah, dimmers are ALWAYS a problem! This place didn't have any though. The owner was very cool about it and spent a few hours with us during setup to try to help us out, turning things on and off etc, but we never did narrow it down. We just hummed all nite. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Subvamp we have this problem in our practice space, only instead of being a constant hum, it comes and goes but it is nasty. I bought one of those Monster power strips because it's supposed to clean up the power and eliminate grounding problems. It makes that ghost hum a little less bad but other than there I haven't had any problems with ground buzz using it.

Comment

Working...
        X